Talk

Advanced search

anyone had to 'dumb down' their cv to get a job?

(4 Posts)
feb Wed 11-Jul-07 19:47:26

have recently applied for a few part time jobs doing basic admin type stuff.
i have a degree, management experience and used to run my own business.
had an interview for one job but didn't get the position, when i asked why they said i was too ambitious!
Should I lie about my work history in future?

flowerybeanbag Wed 11-Jul-07 20:06:43

don't lie feb, would be v difficult to keep up I would think.

I would ensure you explain clearly your reasons for this decision and what you are hoping to get out of/bring to these roles in your cv/covering letter, and then in again in interviews to reassure future employers, and hope you get slightly more open-minded interviewers next time.

good luck!

redtoenails Wed 11-Jul-07 20:16:26

yes I needed a job a couple of years back and left off my degree. Didn't lie just left off a qualification that wasn't relevant.

Hideehi Sun 15-Jul-07 21:34:54

I was just very honest at a recent interview and said I didn't want to be promoted at all and would be very happy being the worlds best resourcer rather account manager, which i used to be.
However they seem to be finding it quite hard not to treat me as an account manager and keep giving me tasks outside of my specification so I can understand not mentioning it, but how will you explain the gap on your CV ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: