Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have experience with universal credit and going back to work part time

(3 Posts)
Motherofpearl19 Sat 23-Mar-19 19:46:57

Ive been receiving statutory maternity pay while on mat-leave, which is teeny-tiny and so as it's just my income, I've been receiving some support from universal credit.

I am due back to work in June and feel it's a good idea to go back, at least for a day or two, so as to find my feet as a working mumma, rather than to apply for support from the government completely. I have a strong work ethnic, and tbh, I think it will be good for me, and my baby too, what with it being just her and I, 24/7!

As single parent I'm a bit lost as to how to decide how many days to go back to work, and how this will work out with my allowance from universal credit! Will I be worse off going back for 3 days, rather than 2 for example? Going back 2 or 3 days a week will not cover my living costs (as it's only my income), so I would need some extra support from UC. ( My baby will only be 1 in June and I think it would be so sad if I left her every single day, from 7am to 7pm )

I did go in and speak to someone at the job centre, but honestly, she was very vague! And it seems I wouldn't know what my UC allowance would be until after I've already started receiving my monthly salary from work! Which means I just don't know how many days I should go back for!

Any of you Mumma's have experience with how this all works? I'd so appreciate any advice.

Babyroobs Thu 28-Mar-19 09:05:35

You will get a UC work.allowance but if ion UC its likely you are already getting this. So the first £198 of wages is disregarded ( assuming you rent ) then after this your UC will be reduced by 63p in the pound for every pound you earn. You will also get a childcare element which is paid as another element of UC and then wages reduce the total award. You should definately be better off working in theory but people do seem to have problems with sorting childcare. You have to pay upfront then claim it back. There may be help available through your job centre. The work allowance is going upnin April which will help people more.

Motherofpearl19 Fri 29-Mar-19 13:45:14

Thanks so much @Babyroobs, that's really helpful! Aghhhh I just need to take the plunge.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »