Talk

Advanced search

Loss of confidence on return to work after maternity leave

(3 Posts)
MissB83 Thu 21-Mar-19 21:29:03

I went back to work when my son was almost 12 months which was about a month ago. I am in a professional field. I took off 13 months in all, finished early as my son and I both had some health problems. A lot has happened since I was previously at work: had a traumatic birth which really affected me, had counselling and been on medication for PND. It's been a difficult year in some ways, my son has never really slept very well and I'm doing it on my own... it's definitely not been a years holiday! I did one KIT (half) day but that was it, partly because my work didn't make much effort as they knew I wouldn't be going back to my original post but nor did they allocate me to a new post until a few weeks before I went back so I effectively had no manager engage with me for almost the whole time. The new job is ok and the team/line manager are ok but I feel like I'm really struggling... I feel completely unproductive, my brain doesn't work, I get easily tired and confused and my confidence is gone. Help! sad is this normal?

minervahames Thu 21-Mar-19 21:33:40

Totally smile took me about 2 months to get back into it. You created a human, and then spent a year looking after him, deffo give yourself a break and just get into the routine of leaving lo and getting yourself to work for a bit before you worry too much about what you’re doing at work.

UterusesBeforeDuderuses Thu 21-Mar-19 21:42:06

I'm in the same situation as you! My LO is 10 months, I've been back at work just over a month and I've been struggling. Still on medication for PND and tired all the time, I work in the financial sector and feel like I've forgotten everything I knew! I will say though that the past week I had felt a bit better and more confident, I decided to suck it up and not be afraid to ask colleagues even simple questions when I wasn't sure, which has really helped. I think it will just take time, it's a big change to deal with after so long off x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: