Talk

Advanced search

Convincing a prospective employer about wanting a change in direction after a career break

(8 Posts)
stressedoutpa Mon 18-Mar-19 18:36:09

At the moment there are far too many people for admin jobs. Those who have recent relevant experience will get in there first. Although you could do the job, you probably won't be a top candidate.

I would avoid admin like the plague. Is there nothing else you can do?

Hollowvictory Mon 18-Mar-19 18:27:35

Ah OK you're not in UK.

ColeHawlins Mon 18-Mar-19 18:24:09

* my issue is on the 'why do you want to work here' box or question- what to put that's relevant to the job but realistic*

Talk about the organisation (aims, ethos, products or reputation), not about you.

The downshifting isn't the issue that you think it is (very common occurrence) but you're projecting it on to things because you're preoccupied with it. Just forget it. It's honestly a non-issue.

LittleMy77 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:21:09

I'm not actually that bothered about being bored tbh, as I'm not looking at it as a long term career change, more of a 2-4 year thing whilst family commitments make my previous sort of FT role almost impossible.

There's not really any PM roles here PT (I'm not in the UK and flexible working, job share etc isn't as prevalent)

Hollowvictory Mon 18-Mar-19 18:09:30

Tbh I think you will be bored. I've recruited many project manage and many admin and I don't see the role being interchangeable either way. Why don't you do pm part time? I know several women that do.

LittleMy77 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:04:55

I haven't been turned down for a job (yet..) my issue is on the 'why do you want to work here' box or question- what to put that's relevant to the job but realistic

I'm an ex project manager, looking for office admin type roles. The stuff I'm looking at requires, organization skills, self starting, co-ordinating the office / team tasks, schedules etc, organizing meetings, calendars etc, so I have these skills.

Hollowvictory Mon 18-Mar-19 17:56:03

How do you know that's the issue? Could it be that you don't have as relevant experience as other candidates? Eg it's a receptionist job and lots of applicants have reception experience.
What jobs are you appkti g fir and what's your background?

LittleMy77 Mon 18-Mar-19 17:53:19

I quit my FT job two years ago when DS was a toddler and am now looking for something new.

Due to family circumstances, I'm looking for stuff that's local to where we live, mainly PT office jobs. However, I'm struggling a bit in how to 'pitch' myself in the applications.

At the risk of sounding like an arse, my previous roles were relatively senior, in a high pressure industry managing lots of people, high budgets etc to manage, with a salary to match (the last point is pertinent to new applications as some are asking for last salary)

I am trying to adapt my CV and experience to a new job - i.e. make it transferable skills - but I'm struggling especially when asked to explain why I want the job, as I don't think "I need a job for my sanity but need to be nearer to home for family reasons'' is appropriate grin

I want to try and convey that at this point, PT office stuff is exactly what I'm looking for, and I can come in, do a good job, and no, I won't get bored etc. Any pointers on how to do this?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »