Talk

Advanced search

Nervous about starting part time

(2 Posts)
Lizmum1 Thu 14-Mar-19 11:35:48

I’m being stupid really,

Haven’t worked since dd was born 3 years ago and since had ds whos 7 months. Financially it wasn’t a option for me to go back due to childcare costs for 2 under 3 but now dd is in Pre school I’ve found a lovely part time job which is just 18 hours a week. 12 hours Saturday when dh is at home with kids and Thursday 2-8 luckily my mum has agreed to have dcs Thursday 2-6 when dh gets home.

I’m really exited to go back to work now and get a career I’ll be doing qualifications in the roll as well as getting a pention and my wage will be saved towards a house deposit so plenty of reasons to be happy and the fact it won’t really affect our week routine very much as I’ll still be spending all week with dcs smile

I don’t start for 3 weeks but as it gets closer I’m feeling a bit anxious
I’m usually a very house proud person verging on ocd if I’m honest I usually clean clean clean and do lots of activities with dcs. As dh works long hours in London mon- fri I have all the house hold responsibilities as well as our horses and helping with my elderly grandparents and so on.

Recently I’ve really slowed down and I’m feeling exhausted a lot. I can’t get out of this sluggish tired feeling. Today I wanted to go out and do something but just felt too tired. I’ve lowered my standards with the housework. House is still pretty clean just not to hospital standards lol. Today is my only day I’m not doing any nursery runs, baby groups, swimming lessons, food shopping, not my day to do the horses today either. I feel this is the only day of the week I don’t have to go out so I’ve stayed in my pjs, done easy meals, watched tv with dd whilst baby naps, my hairs in a messy bun and I’ve done the bare minimum housework - kept on top of the kitchen and put a load of laundry on. Most days I’m like superwoman but I feel myself really slowing down. Kids are both in their pjs and it’s mid day ( we’ve all washed) if it was a warm sunny day we’d be over the park or on a long dog walk. Dog is old and doesn’t require daily walking due to hip problems.

Am I slowing down naturally preparing to split house duties with work? I think in the back of my head I’m worried about burning the candle at both ends

Really sorry if I sound pathetic I know thousands of mums have more than 2 kids and hold down full time jobs and parenting / house chores. A lot are single too A I take my hat off to them.

I’m sure I’ll be ok as it’s only a day and a half a week I think I’m anxious as I’ve been out of work years and haven’t experienced working since having my dcs confused

mrsdaz Sat 16-Mar-19 08:55:52

It’s normal to feel completely out of control when a big change is happening in your life.

You will only have 2 days out of the house and it’ll make you feel better, more motivated as well as giving you some independence from being ‘mum’.

You won’t look back in 20 years and remember not hoovering up but you will remember how you contributed to your families future by earning a bit of money towards the lovely house you’ll be sitting in :-).

Do a rota for housework so that you don’t lose control. Maybe put the minimal things on there, time yourself to 1 hour a day total to get everything done. Only put the important things down and then add space for extra jobs that you do if you feel like it. You will feel accomplished if you don’t overstretch.

Go easy on the children....they just want to play and explore. Just being with them on your days off is enough.

Im a military wife, have 3 children, 2 dogs and a hubby who’s away a lot. I work full time and my house is done as and when I can fit it in. I prefer to spend time reading with the children and everything else comes second. My house is tidy but not as ‘clean’ as I would like it to be. It’s impossible when the children get things out the minute I put it away grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: