Talk

Advanced search

On mat leave when should I request flexible working

(3 Posts)
isitspringyet23 Wed 13-Mar-19 09:26:27

Hi All

I'm currently on maternity leave with my first baby. I am due to return to work in the summer. I would like to make a request to my employer to a change in my hours from 40 to 32 , I am just wondering when I should approach them with my request? Have any of you had similar experience.

Is it too early to approach them with my request considering I am not due to return for another 4 months? Or do you think I should ask immediately so if we all know where we stand?

Any advise is appreciated
Thanks

Modestandatinybitsexy Wed 13-Mar-19 09:38:11

It's worth getting in touch with your line manager to start the ball rolling and see what the process is. I think I started the request with mine about a similar time frame.

I had to really think about what hours worked for me, and had a couple of back up options, then I had a meeting with my manager and when we had agreed I requested it officially with HR. It can take a while to all be signed off so there's no harm in doing it now.

Fingers crossed you get the hours you want

Isleepinahedgefund Wed 13-Mar-19 14:06:27

I'd get in touch now to at least see how the land lies. My work were very vague and "oh we'll discuss that nearer the time" but I was pretty confident about getting the flex working pattern I needed as I know the organisation well and the person who wqs ultimately making the decision, so it wasn't a worry.

If you need a particular pattern I'd definitely approach them now especially if a "no" means you'll be left in childcare disaster. Modest's idea of having a couple of backup plans re working patterns is a good one, just in case.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: