Talk

Advanced search

Do I stand a chance?

(5 Posts)
lanclass1 Mon 11-Mar-19 18:54:25

Currently on maternity leave and will be returning to work at the end of August. I am in Manage a team within a large IT company and have done for the past 6 years. I already have a ten year old daughter and now a 6 month old. When I return to work I only want to be PT but unfortunately the only option available will be to work almost on the opposite shift from DH plus weekends so we will be like ships in the night and I will be working back shifts so I won't be seeing the kids 4 nights a week. I qualified as a nursery nurse when I left school and worked in childcare for years into my early twenties before deciding I wanted a change. Had DD, went to college to study (wanted to be a child social worker) did two years and then became a single parent so gave up on the social worker dream and got a job in the IT company I'm now with. I did this because I needed to support DD on my own and needed a good stable income. I worked my way to management fairly quickly and been with them since. Now having had DS and getting married, I now feel I can do something I really enjoy again. My question is, if I was to apply for a job as a nursery nurse again, would I stand a chance having been out the childcare setting for so long?

lancslass17 Mon 11-Mar-19 20:13:33

Do you have all the relevant qualifications/is your professional development to ti date?

No harm in trying you might succeed!

mrsdaz Tue 12-Mar-19 07:36:35

There are lots of online courses you could do that are free or cheap. Do a paediatric first aid course to start with, online safeguarding. There are lots of free level 2 courses on behaviour that challenges and special needs. The more courses you do it will show employers that you are keeping up to date on issues before returning to nursery work.

However there are lots of 1-1 staff I’ve worked with whom have had no experience of qualifications and have got the job based on personality alone. It’s a hard job with minimal pay!
Good luck! X

lanclass1 Tue 12-Mar-19 07:48:37

@lancslass17 yes I have the relevant qualification but I just feel that when they look at the last time I worked in childcare (apart from my own) that they would think I've been too removed from it all. I'm going to go for it anyway and see smile

lanclass1 Tue 12-Mar-19 07:49:11

@mrsdaz

Really helpful suggestions which I am going to look into today - thank you so much for the advice grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »