Talk

Advanced search

How long is the longest you've had to wait after having a job interview before finding out if you got it or not?

(29 Posts)
SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 10:16:11

I went for a job interview on Thurs 28th Feb. First forray back into work after 5yrs off with the dc. It's just a p/t admin job round the corner from where I live, so ideal.

All went well, was there nearly 3hrs and came out feeling positive. We'd discussed hours, salary, holiday etc Friends and family were saying how it sounded like I'd got the job already from what I was telling them (like how I was shown the computer software they use).

The guy who helped interview me is the Director/Owner (small local business) and said as he saw me out that he'd contact my references and be in touch.

I spent all of the next day constantly checking my phone. Then resigned myself to the fact it'd probably be Monday I'd hear. Monday mid-morning I get an email saying that someone (who wasn't at the interview) was off sick so if they didn't get back to me this week that's why.

They haven't contacted my references.

I have been so nervous, excited, hopeful, anxious/worried and on tenterhooks all week that I've had a permanent headache and now a cold. So I sent an email yesterday morning asking if they were any further forward with a decision. No reply.

Is this normal?! I'm sure in other job interviews I've had they have let me know within 48hrs, as they know how torturous it is waiting. I feel pretty deflated and like I haven't got it now, but just want to know as it'll affect my family massively (all year round working so will need to organise childcare, and they said they wanted someone to start asap).

I've now talked myself out of wanting the job as don't think they've treated me particularly thoughtfully...so do I trust my gut and turn it down if they do finally offer me the job, or will I be cutting my nose to spite my face?!

Sorry for the rambling. Am so confused. Any help appreciated.

(I don't actually need to work - I wouldn't be doing it for the money - just feel it's time for me to get back into the work place and contribute to the family finances again).

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 10:55:10

Bump.

Would really appreciate people's thoughts.

ThunderOnlyHappens Sat 09-Mar-19 11:15:52

I had an interview at a company four years ago and am still waiting!

This did happen to me, but usually I've found out in a couple of days at the latest.

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 11:19:00

@ThunderOnlyHappens 4 years?! <faints> shock I think it's incredibly rude. You put so much time, energy and thought into an interview. You kinda bare your soul a little so they can get to know you.

Then. Nothing. sad

So do you think I should turn the job down now, even if they do offer it?

ItWentInMyEye Sat 09-Mar-19 11:25:38

I had an interview on Halloween last year and didn't hear for 3/4 weeks

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 11:26:42

Well this is making me feel a bit better!

@ItWentInMyEye so were you offered the job? And did you take it?

ThunderOnlyHappens Sat 09-Mar-19 11:26:49

I would wait until mid-week and then call. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Yes, it was very odd-they were a mid sized company who just ignored me when I emailed them. When I called they pretended they were busy on phone calls and never got back to me. I interviewed well I think (ad far as you can gauge these things) and was well qualified for the position but 🤷🏻‍♀️.

If you like the job then take it if you want to and they offer it but I would take it as a warning that there might be organisational issues that are fundamental flaws.

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 11:43:18

@ThunderOnlyHappens thanks - good advice.

The other warning sign was that the Director was 15 mins late when calling me for an "informal chat" and 45 mins late for the interview! The lady who had started it with me remarked that he's very laid back and late for everything.

I hate it when people are always late!! I think it shows a lack if consideration...

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 15:20:08

Bumping for the afternoon folk..

WeeBeasties Sat 09-Mar-19 15:24:31

The longest i waited was 3 weeks, and was offered the job. They were a small company and the HR lady worked half a day a week, so in her mind it had taken one and a half working days to get back to me.

DelphiniumBlue Sat 09-Mar-19 15:29:56

I waite d about 2 weeks to be offered my current job, which is in a school.
I did actually phone to ask for feedback having assumed the job had gone to someone else, but they said they'd been meaning to call! I never did find out what the delay was, I was told later by someone on the interview panel that they definitely wanted me from the outset.
I think it's worth phoning after a week or so if you haven't heard.

MaidofKent78 Sat 09-Mar-19 15:35:16

I had an interview 20 years ago and still waiting for the phonecall....

I had an interview 11 days ago and still not hard. But it's a large recruitment exercise for a large govt department and interviews only finished yesterday so I'm not expecting to hear until the end of next week at the earliest. This works well though as I have an interview for a role on Wednesday that I want more than the other one!

In your case I would probably chase up midweek.

jackparlabane Sat 09-Mar-19 15:35:50

Worth contacting them. I've gone for some where the funding for the position has been held up so they couldn't offer until that got sorted, or other things have happened like they need some senior person to tick a box on a computer form...

My record for someone getting back to me was 18 months - by which time I had a job.

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 15:47:31

@WeeBeasties did you take the job? Or were you too annoyed by then?!

Yeah the lady who has to help make a decision on this has been on sick all last week apparently. That doesn't help me though. I have a tendency to talk myself out of things given enough time hmm

@MaidofKent78 You win! 20 years?! shock Best of luck for Wednesday flowers

@jackparlabane thanks for the advice smile 18 months is a joke...

Embonkment Sat 09-Mar-19 16:17:47

I had an interview at the beginning of feb and only got told the results yesterday. I thought the interview went well, and they asked lots of questions about my notice period and asked for references straight away so thought I was in with a good chance. They told the recruitment agency that I was a very impressive candidate.

I had to prepare a case study, that took ages and in the interview they said it was excellent work.

Then after the interview, nothing.

After a lot of chasing up via the agency I was told that they will not be taking my application further. They never contacted my references, and even told the agency that I was an ideal candidate, but they didn’t have any roles available. Not sure if that’s them letting me down gently.

If not, and they honestly did think I was good, why the hell interview me in the first place if there was not a role to fill?! Waste of time for all concerned, the agency are going to try and find out why they interviewed me at all, and I’ve asked for more detailed feedback as I want to apply for similar jobs but this has knocked my confidence.

BikeRunSki Sat 09-Mar-19 16:22:56

8 weeks, public sector as an external candidate. I took the job though, still there 15 years later...

HomerDancing Sat 09-Mar-19 16:26:56

I’m still waiting to hear back from an interview a few weeks ago. The interviewer told me she would get back to me by a certain date and didn’t. I emailed to follow up and have been ignored. It’s unbelievably rude. I think I interviewed fairly well and took time off work, travelling out of my way to get there. I’m thoroughly pissed off. Why do companies think it is ok to not even say sorry you have been unsuccessful?!

Embonkment Sat 09-Mar-19 16:35:41

Recruitment agencies drive me mad too. I applied for the specific role that I saw advertised, and specifically told the agent not to send my cv to anyone else. When I didn’t get the job I applied for he said not to worry and he was sure one of the other companies would get in touch. Turns out he sent it to a whole host of companies, as a speculative application. Am pissed off, I work in a small industry, everyone knows someone, if my boss gets wind that I am looking for a new job it will be very awkward.

Unfortunately most companies in my field use agents rather than manage recruitment themselves, so not much choice but to go through them.

Omgineedanamechange Sat 09-Mar-19 16:38:55

A year, it was an internal vacancy, and I got the job. Eventually.

Christobel51 Sat 09-Mar-19 16:57:10

I went for a job interview on Thursday the 14th of February and they told me yesterday (the 8th of March!) that I was successful!
They did have others to interview which I knew but I was beginning to think I hadn't got the job!
Don't loose heart....5 years out is a long time but if you feel the time is right, then it is a positive step. I'm exactly the same ....been out for 5 years and was dreadfully nervous.
Anything could be going on, if it's a smallish company, then there could be sickness, emergencies, anything could have happened and actually it's not tooooo long you've been waiting to hear!
Anyway, good luck.

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 17:18:33

Thanks everyone! You have really helped make me see it's not that long really. It's just in the past I've always known within about 48hrs so thought this was very unusual and rude. Maybe not?

I don't think it's helping that I've not worked for 5 years so my confidence has been knocked somewhat, and it will be a huge change for me and my family. If I was already in a job I would have less time to stress and think/worry.

I was under the impression I was the only candidate. They haven't advertised anywhere that I know of, just found me via word of mouth.

I'm going to still keep applying for other local jobs (have found one which is term-time only so better for me and the kids) so not to keep all my eggs in one basket smile

Elephantina Sat 09-Mar-19 17:26:18

3 months!

I was contacted by an old boss who said a role had come up within the Plc that I might be interested in. It was perfect so I jumped at the chance, and he promptly forgot to pass my number on, so it was 3 weeks before the MD of the recruiting firm contacted me.

We had an informal chat first, then I had a proper interview with the MD of the firm and the CEO of the entire group - terrifying.

I waited...and waited...and waited. Nothing. I politely chased, and got no reply for weeks. I was just about to give up when, 12 weeks after my main interview, the MD emailed and said so sorry, it's been really hectic - yep the jobs yours, when can you start?

GlubGlubGlub Sat 09-Mar-19 17:30:44

I’m still waiting for a response after an interview in September 2017! I’m a senior lawyer and it was at a very well known firm! So rude! Obviously I got another job in the meantime!

SatsumaFan Sat 09-Mar-19 21:45:16

So has anyone been offered the job weeks/months later and taken it? You weren't put off by their seeming incompetence or lack of consideration? I know I'm very lucky to be in the position I'm in, in that I don't need a job, but it does really put me off that they've left me dangling so long...

Elephantina Sat 09-Mar-19 21:58:12

Yes I took it. It wasn't so much lack of competence as lack of resource that caused the delay (all chiefs, no workers) - and that much hasn't changed.

I guess it will depend on their reasons for taking so long? It could be as simple as holiday, sickness, big project deadline, conference...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »