Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth it?

(5 Posts)
J9121 Thu 07-Mar-19 19:48:20

Not really sure where to start! I had a difficult upbringing resulting in quite a few convictions when I was a teenager(shoplifting,fighting,stealing) resulting in me getting a tag I did my time and really improved myself going back and doing my GCSE's I then fell pregnant at 17 and have spent the time since bringing up my kids (sahm) I'm now(27) at the point where I need to go back to work but have only got a few jobs on my cv. I've been looking and really want to do a teaching assistant course at college but for placement I'll need a dbs check,I'm wouldn't lie and would tell the potential placement about my early struggles and that I'm now a completely different person etc but my main worry is that I'll still get turned down. Is it worth me doing the course?or will I fall at the first hurdle? It's something I feel really passionately about doing and obviously is a good job in terms of work hours etc
Tia smile

Decormad38 Thu 07-Mar-19 19:53:05

I do know that those kind of offences wouldn’t cause too much problem on your dbs but anything connected to children or more serious harm offences would. My dh is a teacher and he had something on his dbs but it didn’t cause a problem. I also used to look into this for kids in FE wanting to become social workers. Those offences wouldn’t have been a hindrance to that career.

J9121 Thu 07-Mar-19 19:56:38

This makes me feel somewhat better! None of the offences had anything to do with kids,and I'd obviously be very upfront about it even if I'm not asked.

Decormad38 Thu 07-Mar-19 20:06:54

Yes I think you will find that quite a number of people have these offences on their dbs. I used to have to check out with universities if it would hinder students and it rarely did unless it was a violent act or an act relating to kids obviously because of safeguarding.

J9121 Fri 08-Mar-19 08:43:48

Thank you @Decormad38 im going to apply this weekend!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »