Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas of how to get out of nursing.

(24 Posts)
Lifeisnotsimple Sun 03-Mar-19 19:39:57

Been a nurse for 20+ years and now i want out. Have enjoyed it over those yrs but ive changed in the last yr and now cant stand it, dread each shift. I cut my hours thinking it would be better but it isnt. So having been the same job for this length of time i am clueless about how i can get out, i fancy doing an admin job in the nhs but i havent a clue about interviews etc any ideas of different careers.

E20mom Sun 03-Mar-19 19:46:14

What about a job as a CQC inspector. They are always recruiting.

Lifeisnotsimple Sun 03-Mar-19 19:49:31

Thank you e20mom haven't thought of them, will take a look.

livinglavidavillanelle Sun 03-Mar-19 19:49:31

How about retraining as a health visitor? An admin job is going to presumably be a much lower band than you're on now.

fitflopqueen Sun 03-Mar-19 20:01:40

occupational health? shortage of OHNs and OH providers will train you on the job if you have the initiative.

Lifeisnotsimple Sun 03-Mar-19 20:01:59

Yeah living most of my colleagues are doing that, not appealed to me.

Foodylicious Sun 03-Mar-19 20:04:22

Could you go in to training ?
Moving and handling, resuscitation, infection control?

Someway of keeping your registration and pay band?

Mumof1andacat Sun 03-Mar-19 20:05:04

Have a chat with one of the admin managers at the hospital where you work. I'm a medical Secretary in the nhs. The interviews are very short. Sometimes have a typing test or prioritisation but not always.

Curiousmum69 Sun 03-Mar-19 20:06:17

My friend took a sabbatical over to data protection.

She loved it and is now band 8. Was a band 7 nurse.

Admin isn't always a drop in pay.

SleepDeprivedCabbageBrain Sun 03-Mar-19 20:06:33

How about working in clinical research?

Decormad38 Sun 03-Mar-19 20:06:41

Why when nursing is so diverse with so many different places of work and jobs do you want to leave. Just change jobs. Or evaluate exactly what it is you don’t like so you don’t make a mistake changing jobs.

Lifeisnotsimple Sun 03-Mar-19 20:21:29

Thanks mum of 1 will look into that.

Ridingthegravytrain Sun 03-Mar-19 20:54:58

Clinical trainer for one of the large medical equipment companies (GE/Philips etc)

Pieandpeas3 Tue 05-Mar-19 17:24:53

I feel the same OP, I have been a nurse for 15 years both inpatient and community and also dread each shift. I used to love it but the job has changed so much and maybe I have too. I find it so stressful.
I know people who have become support workers/health care assistants but that's a drop in pay. Also people have become teaching assistants or disability assessors.

Lifeisnotsimple Tue 05-Mar-19 18:05:09

Pieandpeas3 i dont mind the drop in money and im only looking for part time. I was thinking pt admin, then when the kids are older could move into a full time position. I know it sounds trivial but im fed up of working dh days off to accomodate 12hrs, then not seeing the family at weekends or xmas. Last xmas day i went to work on a late shift to be confronted by various abusive relatives. I cried bitter cos id left my family for this shit and i knew then its not worth it. Over the 20yrs ive put up with all sorts and worked nearly every xmas. It never phased me but i know its time to go. im done.

Mumof1andacat Tue 05-Mar-19 18:14:40

Research nurse, outpatient clinic nurse or a nurse in a doctors surgery might be a nurse type option. Health visitor maybe or a clinical trainer

DharmaInitiativeLady Tue 05-Mar-19 18:29:17

Medical Writing

madcatladyforever Tue 05-Mar-19 18:31:22

Ive been a nurse advisor for medical insurance and then when I got sick of that retrained to be a podiatrist.
Podiatry is much less stressful and good money NHS and private. Loads of ex nurses are podiatrists.

Lifeisnotsimple Tue 05-Mar-19 19:23:11

Matcat how long did it take to retrain as podiatrist?

RainyDaysSunnyNights Tue 05-Mar-19 22:20:19

I left nursing after 15 years last February... I went back after maternity leave and just hated every minute of it! 6 months later I'd left, cancelled my registration and got pregnant with number 2. I'm not sure what I'll do in the future (SAHM for the foreseeable) but it definitely won't be nursing 😬

Pieandpeas3 Wed 06-Mar-19 11:54:19

it's good to know that it's not just me that feels like this. I feek trapped but ready to take the plunge and leave, just got to hand in my resignation now and decide what to do next. Rainydays, you don't think you will regret leaving nursing?

Lifeisnotsimple Wed 06-Mar-19 12:38:36

Pieandpeas i feel totally trapped. Ive got a an jury which i know is from prolonged lifting although nobody will care to admit in the industry that we do still lift. I feel burnt out and beat so i know my time has come to move on. Ive sacrificed my time with my family for this job, but no more. We are downsizing the house so our out goings wont be so much and then i can get a job in different area or have the money to retrain.

tierraJ Wed 06-Mar-19 12:48:27

I gave up being a staff nurse in 2012 after a psychotic breakdown.

The Nmc have said I can do the return to nursing course if my health becomes stable but I've now actually been diagnosed with schizo affective disorder & the symptoms get worse with stress although I take meds.

I now work as a healthcare assistant on a surgical ward, I still find it stressful so have to work part time.

I used to enjoy being a Nurse until I got ill.
But I know nurses who dread every day.
I would recommend finding a job where you can use your qualifications & get similar pay.
I enjoy being an HCA as it's all care & less paper work but the pay is shite.

I'd like a non stressful better paid job where I could have contact with people & use my degree but I can't think of anything!

Except I fancy being a physio assistant, the pay is the same as HCA unfortunately.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
I do know nurses who have moved into research & they don't seem especially stressed.

GirlGang89 Sun 10-Mar-19 22:17:36

I work in community nursing and our ‘triage call centre’ has a band 6 nurse on duty in the office to assist with making sure referrals are complete and appropriate, speaking to patients to try and give advice/support over phone without a visit ... I would love to do that half and half with clinical work but jobs are few and far between but my friend does it and loves it as still feels clinical but much less stress all round x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: