Talk

Advanced search

New girl is wrecking my confidence

(5 Posts)
SMarie123 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:53:07

Hello all,

I am back from maternity leave almost 6 months. I am in a new department and struggling a little with my confidence. I am very worried about how I am perceived and can over analyze

Anyway there is a new hire (4 months in) and she is an epic nightmare to work with. She is totally inflexible and dictates how we should work. My colleague clashes with her all of the time and then I end up feeling like the child of divorcing parents! Our boss think she is amazing (she does get a lot done and she is technically better than the rest of us) but I wish she would alter her manner to take on board the opinions of others/ not be so rude/ impatient/ not undermine me. In team meetings she does all of the talking. Customers don't really like her but if management are around she is as nice as pie

I tried to tell our boss but I could tell he just thought I was jealous. Another colleague says management will work her out in time....what do people think?

HennyPennyHorror Mon 25-Feb-19 22:56:48

Is she your superior?

SMarie123 Mon 25-Feb-19 23:04:52

She definitely has more experience in the sector we work in but I was transferred from
A different department, so officially I am the same level. We are middle management level.

Our managers only look at output. She definitely gets more done than I do but she has no grace about her. I hope she will upset enough people senior management will understand...

HennyPennyHorror Mon 25-Feb-19 23:15:42

It's so difficult when it's people's manner that's the issue...because so much of that is perception. I'm not saying she's not terrible to work with, from what you say, she is...but your managers might not see it the same way as they're not with her in the same way as you are.

Do you think or feel that she is in some way bullying you?

SMarie123 Wed 06-Mar-19 08:05:51

Thanks. My manager sees it exactly as you say, me and the other person in the team perceiving her negatively when she doesn't mean it like that. Although there is some merit to what he says, there is a distinct difference in her communication depending on if he/ other senior management is around.

People in teams that work with us see it too but don't have as much to do with her. I hope their message channels up. I feel like I can't talk about it with my manager anymore... he thinks I am just being sensitive and by persisting in talking about it I think I look irrational. Please god she doesn't get made permanent!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »