Talk

Advanced search

To lie about GCSE results

(29 Posts)
Dumbledorker Tue 19-Feb-19 14:22:10

For the last 14 years I haven't had to work due to exh being in full time work and I have been sahm. We have now divorced and I live in my own house with 3 DC and I want to get a part time job.
I'm currently filling out an application form for a supermarket and the usual questions about past employment etc have worried me as I haven't worked for so long. Also its asking for my exam results. Am I ok to bend the truth with these or will they be able to check? I was bullied terribly in school and it effected my attendance leading to it being reflected in my GCSE results. Would they be able to find out otherwise if I was to lie about my results ?

BobbinThreadbare123 Tue 19-Feb-19 14:26:20

Don't lie. There are enough reports in the news of people being prosecuted for this to put anyone off.

Bluebell9 Tue 19-Feb-19 14:26:31

They may ask you to produce the certificates or get duplicates if it is a condition of getting the job. I wouldn't lie as they might not be bothered by the grades you got but probably would be if they found out you were dishonest.

Dumbledorker Tue 19-Feb-19 14:43:16

I've not got any proof of my results so would have to lie either way even if to just guess at them. Obviously I just know that I didn't get A to C's in anything. I've passed the first two application processes online and some were questions working out change for customers and then others were situational multichoice questions. I really really do want to job and believe I will be good at it. It's not the best job in the world but it will be my own job that I will feel proud of attending each day. I'm just so so scared my anxiety is through the roof before I've even started. How do other people cope applying when being out of work for so long ?

RomanyQueen1 Tue 19-Feb-19 14:51:56

Hi, OP.
can you tell us whether the job requires the GCSE's. If it's min wage then they won't be bothered. If it's something that requires good grades then they will maybe ask for certificates.
I took a guess at mine after being a long term sahm. I also knew I didn't get A-C so just guessed at C for most and put a couple of D's in there.
Remember your best subjects and put them at the highest, don't out and out lie though, just remember what you can.

Lougle Tue 19-Feb-19 14:59:51

No, absolutely don't guess and don't lie. You can be dismissed for providing false information. If you don't know you need to find out from your exam board by contacting them. If you can't remember which exam board, you'll need to contact your last school to find out which exam board they used, or contact each exam board until you find the one with your results.

It isn't what you want to hear, but anything else is fraud and it isn't worth it.

FlyingMonkeys Tue 19-Feb-19 15:20:12

Asda aren't going to asking you to provide evidence to stack shelves. They just want to know if you can do basic maths and English.

SileneOliveira Tue 19-Feb-19 15:28:48

Of course you don't lie. There must be ways of approaching exam boards and getting copy certificates. If you lie and are found out, they sack you. End of story.

If you have poor exam results, then I'd enrol first in GCSE English and Maths. Then if an employer asks why you haven't got them already, you explain the situation but can show taht you're proactively doing something about it.

MaybeitsMaybelline Tue 19-Feb-19 15:31:48

DS worked at Tesco whilst at college. He didn't have to produce any certificates, only his passport to prove his right to work.

The tills work out your change anyway grin

Mymycherrypie Tue 19-Feb-19 15:36:34

Don’t lie. You can tell anyway. When an application comes in littered with spelling mistakes and all A+ GCSE results, you just think, really?

MaybeitsMaybelline Tue 19-Feb-19 15:37:15

Also, IMO, many supermarkets like women who want to work part time and have older or grown up children. They are damn reliable, can multi task, often flexible, good with customers etc

Make sure you sell these points if you get through to interview, you deserve it flowers

DeadCertain Tue 19-Feb-19 17:52:05

Absolutely don't lie - it's not worth it. I am currently working in retail whilst waiting for some checks for a new career that I am entering to be completed and the company haven't shown any interest at all at any point in my qualifications. The interview was based around examples of team work, resolving difficult situations etc - very simple. The people that I work with range from those without any qualifications at all to those who are highly qualified. I had to help someone complete forms on our induction day as she was having difficulty and she's doing just fine at work.

Dumbledorker Wed 20-Feb-19 14:53:35

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping it really doesn't effect my chances. I'm actually really excited about the role and the freedom, independence and structure it will give me since staying at home for 10 years. God I hate interviews and all this other stuff argghhh

bookmum08 Wed 20-Feb-19 15:10:19

For the job they will want English and Maths but they probably aren't fussed about the grades. I think I put once "7 gcses including English and Maths" in the qualifications bit. I worked in retail for years and I remember one of the things those doing the job applications were looking at were had the application been filled out as per the instructions (ie use black ink and block capitals) because if you can't follow that how are you going to follow any other instructions. Also turn up for the interview on time (it was amazing how many didn't). Good Luck.

Dumbledorker Wed 20-Feb-19 15:43:45

Thankyou I'm so nervous even at the thought of it. Hope I do get an interview. When I've worked before with the odd job here and there I've always passed the interviews so fingers crossed this will be same !

mrsdaz Sat 02-Mar-19 18:29:46

I have never put my GCSE’s on an application form. Ive worked in schools for years and have never been asked for my results nor certificates!

Just leave them off and put any current training or courses you have done.

If they ask then tell the truth. But they may not even bother.

sighrollseyes Sat 02-Mar-19 18:32:28

Don't lie.
But you could just put 10 passes (if you passed them all)

Nothingunpleasant Sat 02-Mar-19 18:49:37

“English, Art, History, Geography: grades C to E” looks better than “English C, Art E, Geography D” if you don’t like your grades 😊

Good luck, you sound enthusiastic and genuinely interested in the job, that will come across in my interview.

ColeHawlins Sun 03-Mar-19 05:34:18

Why don't you go and get your functional Numeracy and Literacy qualifications at a local FE college PT? It would probably make you feel better to have proof of your abilities. It shouldn't be too time consuming.

sashh Sun 03-Mar-19 06:38:02

Don't lie. And not just because you might be found out.

They may offer you training, if you don' have GCSEs or don't have passes then they may be able to claim money to train you.

They may have a management route that you do need either GCSEs or internal training to apply for (I'm thinking i the future) and you have not done the training because you said you had GCSEs you would be stuffed.

RedRiverShore Sun 03-Mar-19 07:04:56

I would probably leave them of, 5nough it is worth contacting your old school on the outside chance they have them

Good luck with the interview and it is probably worth trying to track down your results through the exam boards so you have them for the future, it is quite doubtful you will need the GCSE ertificates though unless you want to work in the public sector where they will want to see all of the certificates

RedRiverShore Sun 03-Mar-19 07:07:56

So many typos! And I have got O level English blush

todayiwin Sun 03-Mar-19 07:11:59

I worked for the agency that checks exam results!

JasonGideon Sun 03-Mar-19 08:44:01

FE colleges don’t really offer English and maths with out you being enrolled to study something else alongside it.

ColeHawlins Sun 03-Mar-19 08:48:12

11590 results for "functional skills". Most of them standalone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: