Talk

Advanced search

Preferred part-time working hours

(10 Posts)
Matleave123 Sat 02-Feb-19 16:43:15

If you were to return to work after maternity leave and had the option to do so part time, either working the first half of the week or the end half, which would you do and why? What things would you take into consideration when making your decision?

Trying to make my mind up on this myself and I can see pros/cons for both. Just can’t think if I’m missing something obvious I should be taking into consideration? Childcare not a problem and luckily sorted whichever part of the week I end up working!

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 02-Feb-19 16:45:47

First half, over and done with.

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Sat 02-Feb-19 16:46:47

First half - then you get to take advantage of the bank holiday Mondays 👍🏻

Notthisnotthat Sat 02-Feb-19 16:47:22

I work the start of the week gets it over and done with and the weekend starts in a Thursday grin

HunterHearstHelmsley Sat 02-Feb-19 16:47:24

Second half. Better for bank holidays.

My actual preference would be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.

Chewbecca Sat 02-Feb-19 16:47:27

I did second half - people were more jolly in the office, all events fell then and it made me really enjoy/appreciate being with DC on the weekend.

RidingMyBike Sat 02-Feb-19 16:49:15

I do first half but not sure if it's better - we miss out on a lot of childcare as we pay for bank holidays but nursery closed those days.
Looking at the car park at work - Tues-Thurs seems very common.
I do like having the two days in advance of the weekend though.

dementedpixie Sat 02-Feb-19 16:51:57

If you work the second half you won't use up holiday days on bank holiday Mondays and will have more choice about which days to take.

Gizlotsmum Sat 02-Feb-19 16:57:12

Would you need to take bank Holidays out of your holiday allowance? Depends on your job. For me first part of the week was better as often things occurred over the weekend and needed actioning on a Monday but I did need to use holiday for bank Holidays (had a pro rated allowance for them).,

clarrylove Sat 02-Feb-19 17:22:40

Bear in mind most school events are on Thursdays and Fridays in my experience. I work m-w which I prefer but do have to take bank holiday Mondays out of my leave. I sometimes work a different day on those weeks instead to make it up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: