Talk

Advanced search

Big SAHM gap on CV but seen loads of contract roles in my area.

(7 Posts)
HeadHuntingMyself Mon 28-Jan-19 11:48:15

I am a bit confused and stuck.

I have been a SAHM for a long time now and am desperate to get back to work. I am happy to take anything, but at the same time a search online came up with lots of roles in my old line of work.

I was a bit taken aback actually as it seems to me that companies are not keen to take on full time staff and many of the roles I saw advertised were for part time (e.g. 3 days a week), flexible, work from home or a short term contact. Many of the jobs I saw advertised, the old me could quite easily do. Its just the gap on my CV (10 years!) that is putting me off.

What do you think? On one hand I think that if a company wants that kind of flexibility from a candidate then they should also be a bit more flexible on who they hire (i.e. me with a gap!)

greendale17 Mon 28-Jan-19 11:53:55

What have you done in those 10 years to stay relevant in your industry?

HeadHuntingMyself Mon 28-Jan-19 12:16:33

Unfortunately I haven't. I have done some volunteering in other areas but not this.

greendale17 Mon 28-Jan-19 13:12:10

You have nothing to lose by applying however I know in my industry it would be almost impossible to get contracting roles when you have been out of work for 10 years.

Magicaljelly Mon 28-Jan-19 20:25:31

Many industries are more open minded - mine is not averse to a break so long as the applicant isn’t keen on flexi working for example.
You’ll see another thread where someone is back in their field after much longer off.
You have nothing to fear. Have a go and if you have no luck after a few months try to get some volunteering or other relevant refreshed experience?
Good luck!

HeadHuntingMyself Tue 29-Jan-19 06:23:04

Thanks, I will.

newcareerforoldchica Tue 29-Jan-19 15:38:16

Magicaljelly, I am also looking for work after a long gap. If you don't mind me asking, what is your industry? I am curious to know which industries are more open minded.
thanks!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »