Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working request declined

(7 Posts)
majormumma Thu 24-Jan-19 06:43:14

As the title suggests my flexible working request was declined on the grounds that essentially there’s too much work for a part time job to cover. I work for a huge multi billion company so of course, I think they could have worked around it but I think they want me out anyway.
I just wondered if there was a loophole, the person now doing some of my role is part time. Whilst I don’t know exactly to what extent she covers my role, I know it’s a smaller version of what I did before going on mat leave. Do I have a case at all?

OP’s posts: |
MynameisJune Thu 24-Jan-19 06:51:07

Flexible working requests don’t have to be approved if the company believe they have a business reason to say no.

Did you put a case forward as to how you would get the work done with part time hours? Or how it would benefit the company?

SilverDoe Thu 24-Jan-19 06:59:02

That’s sad sad Employers should only really reject flexible working as a last resort.

I would personally ask if I could dovetail with the part time woman, and then they can hire a full time member of staff as well.

2019Dancerz Thu 24-Jan-19 06:59:57

Was that a formal request in writing? If not, make it formally. If it was, in your company’s flexible working policy it should outline the appeals process. Speak to your union - they might have ideas about how to make the request more appealing. Would they not consider hiring someone for the other days?

MynameisJune Thu 24-Jan-19 07:11:18

www.gov.uk/flexible-working

JenniferJareau Thu 24-Jan-19 07:30:50

Can you talk to the person who is covering your role to find out what she does and where any other elements of your role were moved to?

In my experience companies like to hear solutions, not problems. Can you provide a solution such as a job share? Could you do some extra hours working from home?

If it's a big company look on their intranet and see if they have any groups that might be able to help. One place I worked had a group for working mums that provided support and a kind ear.

majormumma Thu 24-Jan-19 07:41:14

Yes the request was in writing detailing benefits to the company/ how they may be impacted if I was to go part time.
I do realise that’s it not a given, just frustrating as there’s someone doing my job currently who’s part time!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in