Talk

Advanced search

New career - beauty business?

(10 Posts)
user122397743 Sun 20-Jan-19 16:50:29

Hoping someone can point me in right direction, pros/cons etc. Have tried to search for relevant forums but not much success.

So at 47 and having been a SAHM for last 10 years am considering my options. I have always been interested in beauty therapy and have recently moved to a house with huge potential for running a home business. The relative flexibility is hugely attractive as although DC are still as school, they are teens and quite capable of looking after themselves in evenings.

Questions I have:

how feasible/realistic is it to set up a basic home salon?
Can it be a viable business?
What basic training would I need? Local college does NVQ 2/3 but that's over a year and I'd prefer to do some fast track training.
Which treatments are the most profitable?
Am I too old?!
What outlays are there?
Recommendations on relevant network support groups?
What else haven't I thought about ??

SLEm Sun 20-Jan-19 17:01:32

I'd start off with things that are popular at the moment, like lashes and nails, everyone has lashes and nails, also MUA is popular xxx

user122397743 Sun 20-Jan-19 17:25:57

Thank you! Am also wondering about more traditional treatments e.g massage, facials, waxing etc?

Also is there really a strong enough market to warrant the outlay?

user122397743 Sun 20-Jan-19 19:52:15

Bump?

user122397743 Mon 21-Jan-19 22:03:08

Final bump?

yikesanotherbooboo Mon 21-Jan-19 22:11:31

A friend of mine did waxing but found it not to be profitable once she had bought couch, wax, cost of her course, insurance , cost of wax etc. She couldn't get enough clients without advertising and it all became rather hard. I'm sure there is a model but there are so many salons around sharing the clientele that you would have to compete ; presumably on cost and situation. It is possible to be mobile doing waxing .

greendale17 Mon 21-Jan-19 22:12:27

This type of market is absolutely saturated where I live

supergrains Mon 21-Jan-19 22:30:47

Brows? Micro-blading etc? I don't know what qualifications you need, but there's a big demand (will the current fashion lasts) and it's not cheap where I live (SE)

user122397743 Tue 22-Jan-19 14:21:24

Thanks for your thoughts. We are in a pretty rural part of Suffolk - main salons a good 25 min drive.

bellareznik Mon 11-Feb-19 18:43:23

Basic home salon is a good idea for small business. Advertising is very important, by social networks or something else.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: