Mental Health Nursing

(5 Posts)
BlitzenandMikey Wed 16-Jan-19 13:53:32

Is anyone studying MH nursing at present? How are you finding your course? What prior experience did you need to begin with?

I am contemplating a career change and this is something which interests me. However, I am well into my forties, haven't studied in years and am unsure about and funding, as I have a P.G.C.E from nearly 20 years ago.

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Welshcakes0 Thu 17-Jan-19 13:13:51

BlitzenandMikey - hello
I am weeks away from qualifying as a mental health nurse.
I just want to say - be sure about the reasons you are choosing mh nursing. I wished I'd worked in mental health before hand. I'm in Wales so I can only speak for Wales. There is a means tested bursary available aswell as student loans. The degree is paid for by the NHS.

BlitzenandMikey Fri 25-Jan-19 17:45:49

Thanks Welshcakes.
This is the thing, I have no prior experience, so would need to gain some.

How have you found the course? Have you a job lined up?

Welshcakes0 Fri 25-Jan-19 18:13:58

You will probably have many transferable skills from other roles and life in general. Do you have children? However, I would advise if not working, definitely volunteering to see how you feel. I wish I had, I would have studied to become an OT (OT assistant even).
I will be completely honest, I have struggled. I am a single parent with 3 dd's with no support from their father and very limited childcare. Other than that I enjoyed learning and in nursing we learn every day and will continue too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

BlitzenandMikey Fri 25-Jan-19 20:42:40

Yes I have two children aged 14 and 10. I need to think long and hard. I may try and secure a support worker job first to gain some experience.

I am under no illusion that it will be easy. I’m older and the role is demanding. I have plenty of life experience and skills.

Thanks again and best of luck to you too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in