Talk

Advanced search

How to explain gap in employment

(12 Posts)
Ninoo25 Mon 17-Dec-18 22:47:32

Hi,

I’ve been a SAHM for 5 years and now that my youngest is due to start Reception soon I’m keen to return to the world of work on a part time basis to help boost the family’s finances a bit.

How should I explain the big gap in employment on my CV? I previously had quite a high powered, well paid job, but the hours and travel required were crazy. I left because my DH was also in a long hours profession and it meant that we had no free time as a family and something had to give. I’d be looking to do something completely different this time round, it doesn’t need to be particularly well paid, as we’ve managed on my DH’s salary for long enough. We currently have enough money to cover our costs and save a little, but it would be nice to be able to start saving to do work to the house or go on holidays abroad.
How do I go about looking for a completely different type of job after 5 years of not working though? I don’t have a clue where to start. I’d just be looking for a retail or admin role locally that fits in as much as possible with school hours (otherwise if childcare was needed I’d have to go back to my very stressful, non-family friendly former full time career!)

Any help and advice appreciated x

OP’s posts: |
Abouttomakeanerror Mon 17-Dec-18 22:49:11

I've put something like career break to care for my family in similar circumstances, it was fine. Better than a blank

Ninoo25 Mon 17-Dec-18 23:10:58

Do you think I should do some volunteering in a school or charity shop or something before I start looking for work? Or just go for it? I’m a bit nervous about starting job hunting and going back to work as it’s been so long. I feel a bit like I did when I got my first Saturday job when I was 16 😬

BuffaloCauliflower Mon 17-Dec-18 23:15:15

Just put ‘career break to raise family’ it’s pretty normal.

Do bear in mind if you had a high level professional job before you’ll be considered over qualified for many admin and retail jobs, they’ll think you’ll get bored and leave or try to manage up. Surely there’s something between a really basic job that probably will bore you and your old job?

Tony2 Tue 18-Dec-18 00:26:52

Hang on, five years bringing up offspring is not exactly not working is it? Yes, not being paid by an employer but. Your education, skills, talent didn't evaporate. Go for it I would. People say, ooh, you'll be overqualified, demanding maybe. Ignore them really, what can you do; lie? I've worked in factories, warehouses with Architects and Philosophy Ph.Ds. Needs must and all that. But it ain't second best. You have something valuable to offer, what else is there?

Ninoo25 Tue 18-Dec-18 08:03:40

Buffalocauliflower no there isn’t anything in between unfortunately. I live in a small town, which has very few businesses, as it’s just a large suburb really. It would take around 1 - 1.5 hours to get to somewhere with more ‘in between’ type jobs. There’s not much point in doing that for me as I want to work part time around school hours and then I’d start incurring more travel costs etc, making part time less worth my while.
I did toy with tutoring (I have a skill that I can use to tutor), but people only want their children tutored outside of school hours (obviously), but not late enough for when my DH gets home.
I might get a little bored working in a shop or doing admin, but it’d only be for a few hours a day, so I don’t think it’d be that bad.
Tony2 yes I agree, the last 5 years haven’t exactly been easy! Kids are hard work! I just didn’t know if I needed to put anything to explain the gap on my CV, as a blank looks odd. I’m also aware from MN how a lot of people view being a SAHM as basically not doing much, so I’m a bit wary of broaching the subject with potential employers!

AmIIntrouble Wed 19-Dec-18 03:16:40

Mine has career break to look after my young family.

I got a job with this CV although much lower pay.

Upalln1ght Wed 16-Jan-19 20:06:13

@Ninoo25 i wondered if you had any luck with job applications? I'm in a similar position and am interested to see what sort of job opportunities you might have come across in the admin sector after your career break? Have you had any issues / feedback in regards to the break in your CV when applying?

Ninoo25 Wed 16-Jan-19 20:43:42

I’ve actually decided to delay looking for a job until September when my DH should have a bit more flexibility on his hours, which will make looking for a job a bit less restrictive for me. Good luck and let me know how you get on x

ThespianTendencies Mon 21-Jan-19 13:33:32

Just go for it! Employers are accepting of gaps in work. I've had 2 job offers and I'm in my 50's and have not been in work for nearly 13 years! What about looking at care work - couple of days a week or teaching assistant? That's usually part time. There are lots of options out there. You could sign with an agency and do bank/temp work (as in, on and as and when basis, rather than permanent? That ay you could just opt out during school holidays. Good luck!

Upalln1ght Mon 21-Jan-19 13:47:42

Good luck Ninoo & thank you Thespian for the reassuring comment!

ThespianTendencies Mon 21-Jan-19 14:17:34

You're welcome smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in