Talk

Advanced search

Feel like a fraud

(9 Posts)
m0therofdragons Fri 07-Dec-18 21:45:23

I've been promoted at work. Now, I'm completely capable of doing it and love it but I've just seen the job spec and it says "degree essential". I went to uni but left due to personal reasons (family deaths and other things). I've worked in the office for 4 years and part of me worries my boss has forgotten I don't have a degree. Should I mention it?

OP’s posts: |
llangennith Sat 08-Dec-18 00:29:27

Why on earth would you do that?

m0therofdragons Sat 08-Dec-18 11:30:31

I didn't know if seeing the job spec makes me responsible in some way?

welshsoph Sat 08-Dec-18 11:35:37

Congrats on your promotion OP.
I think if it really was essential they’d have asked to see some evidence of you completing a degree.
I assume you’re not performing surgery or anything like that?!

kim81 Sat 08-Dec-18 12:17:44

say nothing!

m0therofdragons Sat 08-Dec-18 12:56:21

They have all my qualifications and certificates from when I first applied for a less senior job. Relevant degree would be English / history type so not saving lives. I'll just ignore that then.

Timeforabiscuit Sat 08-Dec-18 17:38:26

Its always degree or relevant experience unless a professional registration depends on it you'll be fine!

justalittlebitsad Sun 09-Dec-18 09:30:59

I have a degree. I don't think it makes an awful lot of difference to my ability to do the job.

I wouldn't worry about it.

tryinganewname Sun 09-Dec-18 10:31:20

My job description states 'degree essential' too.. I still got the promotion based on my experience and they definitely know I don't have one because they're paying for me to do it currently through OU.

I wouldn't mention it, it's more for outsiders.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in