Talk

Advanced search

Forms of ID

(14 Posts)
NGC2017 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:40:16

Me again, for my Mom again, lol.

Basically the Council are being abit arsey. She is 58, and has got all her ID documents together for her appointment today. Her BC doesnt have her parents name on it. She is sure back in the 60's they didnt have parents names on anyway?
She has been told if she doesnt apply for her BC with parents name on she is at risk of her offer being pulled. This has really upset her. She has her passport, utility bills, marriage license, NI Number, but her BC wont be ready for today and her dad passed away years ago so its not even like they can obtain signatures.
Its there anything else she can take and I will ensure she attends her appt with sufficient documents.

TIA x

OP’s posts: |
Ifailed Thu 06-Dec-18 10:44:54

They certainly did have the parents names on them, along with the father's occupation (but not the mum, obviously).

SassitudeandSparkle Thu 06-Dec-18 10:45:28

UK birth certificates do have the parents on, mine certainly does and I'm from the 60's! Is it a UK certificate? She needs the full certificate not the short version.

All employers have to check documents (right to work) so the Council are not being 'arsey' at all hmm

Finfintytint Thu 06-Dec-18 10:49:55

Sounds like she only has the short version. Is there anything on the govt website that would help?

NGC2017 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:55:47

my 'arsey' comment was because I heard the way she was spoken to. I felt it was unfair when she explained her version didnt have the names on so was asking what else could she bring. She was told if you dont your offer will be pulled.
She obviously has the short one, and yes its a british document

HotInWinter Thu 06-Dec-18 11:01:04

Sounds like there is a back story here I'm unaware of, but ordering a full birth certificate (which includes parents names) can be done of the government website here

If she applies before her meeting, and takes proof its on order, isnt that doing what they have asked? Always assuming she has the cash available to do it.

NGC2017 Thu 06-Dec-18 11:10:47

no back story other than my Mom has finally got into work, working in 2 schools after a number of years out. She is aware they have every right to do checks, she has no problem with this but as she has been out of work for a while she didnt realise she needed a BC with her parents names on as she has never been asked this is all her life.

Thanks for the link. I have sent it to her and she will take the details with her confirming its been paid for and ordered

SassitudeandSparkle Thu 06-Dec-18 11:24:06

The offer will be pulled because the employer needs to see the document before they can let her start work. All employers do this and need the same proof. They will need to see it and take a copy, not that it has been ordered.

It's not unfair and it's not the employers fault either, they have do to this.

SassitudeandSparkle Thu 06-Dec-18 11:26:15

Not that her offer of employment will be rescinded, just that any offer would be if they couldn't provide proof, my comment doesn't make that clear!

If she's not due to start very soon, I'm sure the BC will arrive and it will be fine. She was probably given a list of acceptable documents (or it will be on the Council's website) and that will say full BC meaning at least one parent's details on it.

The law changed quite a while back and employers have been responsible for these checks for years, since the noughties at least.

NGC2017 Thu 06-Dec-18 11:32:36

well I will have to prepare her that this may happen. As I say her whole life she has not been asked for her BC with parents details. The other school has accepted her BC fine, along with her marriage license, utility bills, and NI Number.
To give her less that 24 hours to obtain a copy which was always going to be impossible, I do feel is unfair. They should have rearranged as the post doesnt start until March.
I had my son in 2014, and the only reason I had a copy with parents details on was because I paid for it at a later date. The one given to me as the short version. Had she of been asked for this before in her life she would have applied sooner, but as I say never has

SassitudeandSparkle Thu 06-Dec-18 11:37:52

It's true that you have to pay for the long version even at birth registration, I'm sure you need that for a passport application though so why it isn't made clearer is a mystery.

Employers are not that keen on checking the details themselves tbh, the Government put that onus on them!

If she has a list from the Council of acceptable documents (often a list A and B, so many from each) does she have any others available from the list?

NGC2017 Thu 06-Dec-18 11:44:36

yes, shes got everything else.

I do agree though, as I have been asked to prove my DS identity and its seems standard now that parents details are provided, all BC should be issued with the details on.
I think her obtaining a copy for her records will be good anyway

ADastardlyThing Thu 06-Dec-18 11:51:16

Passports are acceptable ID for jobs on their own, they are being way off, but I know that's not helpful

NGC2017 Thu 06-Dec-18 18:56:05

All sorted. Her passport was fine. The lady even apologised to her for the way she spoke

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in