Talk

Advanced search

How to get into reception/admin work with no experience.

(10 Posts)
4rylou Thu 29-Nov-18 18:48:01

I was a sahm to 4 children for over 10yrs, ive recently got a job as a retail assistant but i would prefer more of an office based job, its just difficult as i have no experience. I have gcses and alevels from many moons ago but i was thinking of doing an ecdl computer course. Im really looking for a course that i put on my cv to help me get i that line of work. Anybody any ideas? Xx

OP’s posts: |
NGC2017 Thu 29-Nov-18 21:03:05

Sign up to agencies. That's how I got my receptionist job. My background was way more technical but like you I wanted something better around my DS. Many declined me straight away as no experience. Then I got lucky and was put forward for my job I have been in now for nearly 4 years. My circumstances suited the job being offered and they took a chance on me.
Show a willingness to learn and train but I got my job simply by luck. I have recently helped my mom get into work and she has now been successful. But for a while it was frustrating as all she was getting was unsuccessful due to lack of experience. No one really starts a job knowing exactly what they have to do. People need to take chances and allow people to prove themselves

GaynorGoodwin Sat 01-Dec-18 21:08:53

Have you thought about maybe volunteering? It’s a way in and you’ll gain lots of experience and skills.

minniemoll Sat 01-Dec-18 21:16:08

Work for a council. Based on long and bitter experience they seem to give admin jobs to people who can't type, don't really know how to answer the phone, and maybe saw a letter laid out correctly once. From a distance.

Obviously I could do all of those things wink, but training numpties on basic skills wasn't actually part of my job.

I'm so thankful I don't work there any more!

PrincessDando Mon 03-Dec-18 19:58:33

Do you know anyone with a small business who you could offer to help out on a voluntary basis, just to have something to put on a CV and talk about at interview?

Just basic stuff like filing, data entry, mail.

corkandwood Mon 03-Dec-18 20:04:11

I think admin used to be easy to get into, but not so much now as you will be expected to have the IT experience to do the job. Is there any sort of back to work scheme in your area? They may be able to advise re courses. I am in Wales and on a scheme called PACE to help parents get back into work. My advisor has been fantastic in really digging deep to find useful courses for the area of work I want to get into. She even found a way for me to do the essential course for free (saving me £1.8k!), as well as finding me other courses I can also do to give me the edge when I am applying for jobs. I'm eternally grateful to her.

corkandwood Mon 03-Dec-18 20:05:28

Also look for local volunteer bureaus. They should have lists of all the voluntary opportunities going.

mumonashoestring Mon 03-Dec-18 20:12:27

ECDL would help as most employers will be looking for people who can handle at least MS Outlook (emails, diary management, appointments), Word (letters and other documents) and probably Excel (lists and budgets). Once you have the ECDL you'll be able to pass typing tests at employment agencies and put yourself forward for short term or temp jobs which you can put on your CV. This is also a good way to start working out what kind of office you want to work in, there's a lot of variety.

halfwitpicker Mon 03-Dec-18 20:13:01

Temping.

foxtiger Tue 11-Dec-18 17:04:48

Would you consider doing an apprenticeship? They are not just for school leavers - I know at least 2 people in their 40s who are doing them in childcare related subjects at the moment, and I've noticed that the NHS jobs site always seems to have a lot of them available, some them in office based roles like admin, HR or booking clerks.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in