Talk

Advanced search

Should I apply for this job?

(8 Posts)
thetwinkletoescollective Tue 27-Nov-18 20:00:01

I really need someone to ask me some basic questions so I can reflect on whether I should go for this job or not.

I resigned from my v v v v v busy full time (all the time) teaching job yesterday. It is a leadership role and I never ever sit down and I have so many different things to think about and do and I felt overwhelmed too often.

I resigned with no job to go to.

Really I want a break but I know I do have to work. I guess in an ideal world I would do part time work.

I have seen a maternity cover in my subject in a much better school. Its full time. But its one role (instead of the several roles I fulfil now). Its much closer to my home and would save me an hour and a half in commuting time.

Should I apply. Or is that just putting off the break bit and I am rushing when I should be pausing?

That its temporary appeals right now.

But is it just too soon?

I am going around in circles.

OP’s posts: |
keepondreaming Tue 27-Nov-18 20:08:48

I would apply. It sounds like the stress of commuting and extra duties would reduce. Also mayernity cover means if you hate it, you can leave when teacher returns (2 terms) or if you live the school and they live you, they may find an opening.
You've nothing to lose by applying.
Good luck.

keepondreaming Tue 27-Nov-18 20:09:13

*love

thetwinkletoescollective Tue 27-Nov-18 20:37:56

Hello,

Thank you -that is what I think. I have nothing to lose by applying.

OP’s posts: |
GemmeFatale Tue 27-Nov-18 21:09:20

Apply. If the teacher wants to return part time there’s a natural opportunity to job share once the maternity cover is over

C0untDucku1a Tue 27-Nov-18 21:10:19

Apply. Then think.

Popskipiekin Tue 27-Nov-18 21:14:00

Do you mean 1.5 hours per day saved in commuting time? That’s 7.5 hours per week, a whole ”standard” working day back in your life!!! Amazing. Go for it. It will be a nice transitionary break whilst you think whether more relaxed full time would suit, or if you actually do want proper part time.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 27-Nov-18 21:18:15

I would definitely apply.

It sounds like it will still feel like a break after your previous job! Shorter commute will really help.

If it's not right, it's only temporary.

If you take a break now, when you need to work in a few months there may be nothing suitable.

If it goes well you may have the option to negotiate a new role at the end, maybe PT if the pregnant teacher also wants PT.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in