Talk

Advanced search

New job as a catering assistant at a Primary School

(11 Posts)
NGC2017 Tue 27-Nov-18 17:53:35

So my Mom went for her first interview today after 5 years of being out of work, mostly to help with my DS (he has now started school). Within 20 minutes she got the call to say she had been successful.
Naturally this is a massive confidence boost for her, but she is worried that people will look down on her due to the nature of her role. However it still allows her to help me out in school holidays which is a huge help for me and also the kind of job she wanted.

She doesn't feel ready to ask questions yet as she has some more meetings to attend to start the process of getting her in, but she doesnt understand how she works term time but has been told she gets 25 days holiday a year, but she is to take no holidays during school time? Can anyone shed any light? Also she was told she had to work inset days too. Is this correct? Maybe we are being naive but cant understand what a catering assistant would do when the children arent in school? Also how to bank holidays work as these would be normal working days?
Many thanks

OP’s posts: |
LtGreggs Tue 27-Nov-18 18:00:37

Well done to your mum!

I'm sure they won't mind her asking about this as she goes through the process - or equally it would be a natural question to clarify T&Cs before formally accepting the offer. She should not feel worried to ask.

I expect it MIGHT be along the lines of - she works school term days (say 100 days per Yr) plus has 25 days holiday. So in total she will be paid for 125 days per year, and they will split that in to equal monthly payments. So she would get same pay in July or in November, despite working very different number of days those months.

LtGreggs Tue 27-Nov-18 18:03:52

Also I'd expect there will be either a contract or staff handbook which will be clear about whether holiday can be taken in term time. And also whether bank Holidays are in addition to the 25 days. Those kind of things differ job to job.

GreenTulips Tue 27-Nov-18 18:07:06

She gets all 13 weeks off but is paid for 5 of them - she can not take any holidays during term time - but essential time off may be allowed

Her wage will be paid over 12 equal months

Unset days will be cleaning or training or prepping menus etc she may be given time banked for dentist etc appointments

NGC2017 Tue 27-Nov-18 18:08:14

Thank you @LtGreggs this is what I thought too.

I have told her she should not be worried to ask questions, its important she does, but as shes been out of things for a few years now she feels they could withdraw their offer, though I have said this is very unlikely as you are only confirming T&C's.

She wasnt asked in the interview about upcoming holidays, but we have booked a family holiday next summer holidays which brings us home in the early hours of 2nd september. She has looked online and it would appear this is likely to be an inset day. She is now panicking that when she tells them they will pull their offer but this holiday has been booked since July when no job was on the horizon

GreenTulips Tue 27-Nov-18 18:09:20

Teaching staff and ESO are paid the same way - so paid 5 weeks holiday over the year

She may find she is paid X wage plus 2 days holiday pay - on her pay slip - rather than in weeks - IYSWIM

CiderBrains Tue 27-Nov-18 18:14:40

Inset days will be cleaning/prepping days.

Slipperboots Tue 27-Nov-18 18:19:17

Our staff can bank time for the inset days they are not needed (some of them the school is totally closed), this is done by staying later sometimes if an event is on or doing mandatory training.

They should be fine with the pre-organised holiday as long as she has proof, they might take a days wages off her for it though.

NGC2017 Tue 27-Nov-18 18:28:54

thanks all. I will let her know and encourage her to ask.

She has been a massive help to me working full time and having my little one. I really appreciate her working school time to help during the holidays but we both wasnt expecting the inset days. Ive always told her a job will come first but now I am worrying as i dont have enough holiday each year to manage some school hols and inset days (this may seem selfish but like I say i wouldnt stop her from working) so its another awkward conversation with my boss

GreenTulips Tue 27-Nov-18 20:00:52

Inset days are around 5 a year

Some are tagged on to holidays already

And sometimes they aren't needed so don't attend - you are licky have so much cover for the other 13 weeks

NGC2017 Tue 27-Nov-18 20:36:01

@GreenTulips I know. Super lucky. It would be impossible otherwise. I don't know how people do it. I'm just so grateful that she has gone for work term time to help us out as I couldnt find a childminder that only covers holidays.
I'm just going to be honest with my boss and ask to bank hours. As otherwise I will hit a wall. I understand why he gets annoyed. As a single parent sickness, school things and medical appts etc all fall to me. Unfortunately me and my son have alot between us. And of course when we get sick we tend to get sick together or within days of each other meaning I need up to a week off for sickness.
Hopefully he will understand

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in