Talk

Advanced search

Replaced while on mat leave?

(3 Posts)
MatLeaveJobWorries Thu 15-Nov-18 19:38:48

Name changed for obvious reasons.

I’ve been on maternity leave for six months. Before I left, plans were in place to recruit my cover but since I’ve been gone nothing has happened. They interviewed a couple of people but haven’t recruited. There have been lots of changes at the top with whispers of restructuring departments so I’ve felt paranoid that, since they haven’t recruited, they have plans that affect me/my team that they haven’t revealed.

Now I’ve discovered that they have re-advertised for my cover but under a different job title and slightly different job spec. Are they allowed to do this? I’m concerned about what this means for my return. That they’ll say I’m not suitable for this new position they’ve created?

I’m going in for a KIT day in a few weeks so can query it then but just wanted to arm myself with information about my rights before then.

All advice appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Cattenberg Thu 15-Nov-18 23:07:11

I'm currently on mat leave, and my workplace is undergoing a restructure. I've been told I won't get to return to my previous department, but that I'll be offered a suitable alternative vacancy in another department.

If I've understood correctly, if you can't return to your old job for exceptional reasons such as a restructure, you should be offered a suitable alternative vacancy where one exists, without having to compete with other applicants. But I would get legal advice about this if you can, as I'm no lawyer. Maybe the Citizens Advice Bureau could help?

MatLeaveJobWorries Fri 16-Nov-18 10:26:38

Thank you. Will try that

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in