Civil service judgement test

(9 Posts)
iddybiddymum Wed 14-Nov-18 21:35:19

Oh my goodness - I've taken this test 3 times for 3 different roles and failed each time. It's not rocket science , and I honestly think my answers are suitable and they're not.
Where am I going wrong? It's actually really disheartening and makes you feel a bit , well, 'thick!'

OP’s posts: |
AnneElliott Wed 14-Nov-18 21:44:13

Is it a multiple choice or free text answer?

EvaHarknessRose Wed 14-Nov-18 21:51:33

My dh would heartily agree with you. The irony is that they have invited him to apply for the role which has been advertised three times and they can’t fill it confused.

Isleepinahedgefund Thu 15-Nov-18 13:59:35

Is it the one where you have to appraise the effectiveness of the four possible actions?

If so, I took and passed it quite recently and have coached a couple of people through it, including one person who has the most spectacularly bad judgement I've ever come across 😁

Happy to give you some tips. What grade are you applying for?

Bombardier25966 Thu 15-Nov-18 14:04:52

Look at the competencies, work out which one (or two) the question applies to, and which answer best matches the details of the competency.

iddybiddymum Thu 15-Nov-18 15:31:08

Yes it's for the one which gives you a scenario ( usually about work being carried out in an office). They give you a response and you have to decide whether that's effective , counterproductive , not effective etc .
I think I need to look at what they are actually looking for , maybe not what the obvious answer is ( well, to me!)
It's for a border force job .

NotCitrus Thu 15-Nov-18 15:35:44

I'd also be grateful for tips - I did get told that asking for resources was considered ineffective. Usually I just differed on the order of how effective the effective responses were.

Isleepinahedgefund Thu 15-Nov-18 15:36:57

It's important that you understand what the test is testing:

It's testing your ability to appraise the effectiveness of the course of action suggested.

It's not asking you to decide what you would do - I think that's where people most often fall down on it.

You need to consider each statement totally separately, and remember that all of them could be counterproductive or terribly effective so you mustn't try and rank them (again, people fall down on this)

Use the practise questions to death, you can do them as many times as you like before doing the actually test. If you score below the middle range on the practise, go back and choose again, and really think about why changing your answers changed the score.

iddybiddymum Thu 15-Nov-18 22:10:50

Thank you 😊

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in