Talk

Advanced search

Can I take annual leave AFTER end of maternity leave?

(9 Posts)
katek82 Wed 07-Nov-18 13:55:48

Hello, I'm currently on maternity leave.
The latest date I have to return to work (after taking 52 weeks off) is 21 January.
I will have accrued 31 days' holiday for 2018 (my annual leave entitlement is Jan 1 to Dec 31st).
My question is this: am I allowed to tag my annual leave onto the END of my maternity leave? By my reckoning this would mean I wouldn't return to work until early March 2019.
Many thanks

OP’s posts: |
skyesayshi Wed 07-Nov-18 14:00:14

If your employer agrees to it then you can. I did, I went on leave on 31 Jan and returned the following year on 1 April.

If your holiday year ends on Dec 31st then you would be asking them to carry the holiday forward, some firms allow a certain amount of this generally. I am not sure how maternity affects it, as obviously although you accrue holiday, you don't always take it if you are on ML.

plaidlife Wed 07-Nov-18 14:03:57

I did I had accrued weeks of the stuff. Although some I kept to do a staged return to work which was nice and helped me ease back I to work.

mummabubs Wed 07-Nov-18 14:50:03

I work in the nhs and am doing it right now! As long as employer agrees it's fine x

WonkyDonk87 Wed 07-Nov-18 18:10:22

NHS here too - our maternity leave application form has separate dates for if you want to 'return' but take annual leave that's been accrued so have a later return date in reality. I'm using mine for a staged return 2 days/week but think it must be common for them to put it on the forms. Might be worth checking your employers policy OP, I'm sure you won't be the first to request it.

CherryPavlova Wed 07-Nov-18 18:11:32

My staff do.

megletthesecond Wed 07-Nov-18 18:47:27

If possibly you might want to keep some of it back to cover the inevitable sickness bugs of toddlerhood.

horizonglimmer Wed 07-Nov-18 18:48:53

I did. Ended up with 16 months off as I went back part time and was using up my leave accrued whilst full time!

gamerwidow Wed 07-Nov-18 18:49:39

In the NHS we encourage staff to take their accrued leave as soon as possible after return to get it out of way so we would definitely allow that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in