Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for coping with nerves

(3 Posts)
Ralphstar Sat 03-Nov-18 22:38:39

Hello!
I am returning to work after a three year break during which we underwent fertility treatment. I have an interview on Monday (teaching - interview, teaching a lesson) and I'm well prepped but I'm so incredibly nervous! Every time i think about it, my heart sinks and I quiver with fear! Any chance anyone has some good tips to cope with nerves?
Thank you thank you thank you!
Xx

OP’s posts: |
NonaGrey Sun 04-Nov-18 01:26:46

Talk to yourself in the mirror, in the car while driving - whatever works for you.

Tell yourself you are a fantastic teacher, that they would be lucky to have you, that you are absolutely going to get it.

Say it like you mean it, and repeat it until you feel it too.

The other thing that helps is deep breathing, it will help calm you down.

Go in smiling, with a strong handshake and talk to them with a confident voice as if you know you are going to get it. Body language counts for a huge amount in interviews.

Fake it until you can make it!!

Best of luck!

User19991999 Sun 04-Nov-18 18:31:54

Yes breathing. It's all in the breathing and also not letting yourself get into the doom-loop spiral.

Breathe in through you nose and out through your mouth, slowly. It's normal to be nervous. It's because you care. Someone who didn't care would not be nervous! So being nervous is good.

Allow yourself to be nervous. Embrace your fear. Talk to it.

Talk out loud and tell yourself that you are great at what you do and no matter what the outcome you have value and self-worth, today, with or without a job.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in