Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever started a business? I need help please!

(13 Posts)
cathcart Mon 18-Jun-07 10:12:43

Dh and I are making a start on a business plan for a rehearsal and recording studio.

I would love to hear any advice you have on preparing a professional business plan and getting a good business loan, and any other business advice really. Thanks!

Boobsgonesouth Mon 18-Jun-07 10:19:02

...have you looked into getting support via your local "business link" they can put you on the right track in writing a business plan...

I put two together, firstly a plan of how my business will work, how I intend to start it, objectives, how I see it growing and how I will generate income and then I put together a cash flow forecast over a 24 month period (using excel spreadsheet) to back up the first document....has worked for me but then I havn't actually birrowed that much tbh...Good luck with your recording studio...DH had a share in a small one in Kent ages ago which turned out to be quite successful....Sold his share and just "mesess about " now for fun..... Good luck with it !!! Where will you be based ??

jofeb04 Mon 18-Jun-07 10:46:33

Cathcart,
I've used Business Eye (in Wales), and went on courses with them - the courses were free,and I have actually got some more with them!

ska Mon 18-Jun-07 10:57:50

where do you live? I got loads of support through WIRE and by looking on business link online

cathcart Mon 18-Jun-07 13:11:45

thanks, i live in Eastbourne, where we are planning to base the business. I have checked out some of the local support but haven't been in touch with business link yet- that will be my next step.

So far the local coucil and contacts in the industry have been very helpful but we just want to make sure we get of to a flying start with an impressive business plan.

cathcart Mon 18-Jun-07 14:18:59

thanks for that link ska, but i am based in a town centre. looks interesting though!

ZipadiSuzy Mon 18-Jun-07 14:51:08

We started our own business up last week and the inland revenue gave us alllllll the help we needed, the other supportive network we found was cit adv bureau, good luck and enjoy!

cathcart Mon 18-Jun-07 16:16:50

never thought of the IR thanks! Good luck with your business!

ZipadiSuzy Tue 19-Jun-07 14:04:11

IR also send you on free courses to help you on your way!

RainbowWalker Mon 25-Jun-07 15:23:40

Do get in touch with Business Link. You will be able to sign up for some fab free courses on marketing/goals/competition/accounts etc.

You should also be offered a free consultation and once they'vve met you they can give you a comprehensive pack all about doing your business plan - they will then keep in touch, talk things through with you, throw extra ideas into the pot and be a great source of support through the maze!

Look on your local council website there ought to be a link from there....

RainbowWalker Mon 25-Jun-07 15:24:23

Good luck!

flibbertyjibbet Mon 25-Jun-07 15:38:27

I recently took voluntary redundancy from Business Link to set up my own business - after all I learned from working there I am fully expecting to be a success! Ours had regional business advisers in things like Creative Industries which would cover what you are doing. The number for my old office is 0845 0066888, tell them what area you are in and they will give you the contact details.

tess1e Sat 14-Jul-07 11:26:29

Also contact the Sussex Enterprize Scheme...I think they have free advisors and all sorts of services that can help you set up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now