"you are not required to submit a cover letter"

(7 Posts)
redbook Thu 20-Sep-18 10:45:04

I'm applying for a role online and it says "you are not required to submit a cover letter". It then says you can upload optional attachments such as references or other files.

So should I include a cover letter? I don't want to go against the instructions...

OP’s posts: |
Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Thu 20-Sep-18 10:46:52

I imagine it means they won’t read it / it won’t factor in any decision they make.

gcm0220 Thu 20-Sep-18 10:56:54

Yes! I'm a Recruiter and even though companies write that, sometimes a cover letter can explain things that you cannot in the CV. I sometimes receive CVs that are incomplete, lack information and you can assess much of the skills and experience, however, many were considered because they wrote a cover letter explaining their experience and background and how that matched the role.

It also depends on the way you write a cover letter. if it is a copy paste, it won't help.

Hope that helps!

Gaby

gcm0220 Thu 20-Sep-18 10:57:57

Just something I forgot to add. Sometimes people write that they don't require a cover letter because some applicants avoid applying if they have to write cover letter or may take longer, but it does make a difference.

redbook Thu 20-Sep-18 12:30:16

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to send one. A good one (hopefully).

I worried that they would think that I can't follow instructions so reject me. But strictly it says "not required" not "do not send"

OP’s posts: |
gcm0220 Thu 20-Sep-18 13:07:38

Don't worry. They won't think that. Some places also state they must receive a cover letter to be considered and some candidates don't send it but if the CV is really strong and good, they consider them. Let's say, it won't hurt if you send it but it will help your application.

Good luck!

2BorNot2Bvocal Sat 22-Sep-18 16:23:29

What you can do is as the last page of your CV do a Statement in Support of Application. Avoids writing out your contact details, which you have already given online, with a couple of sentences and gives you a whole page to highlight how you meet essential criteria.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in