Talk

Advanced search

Admin qualifications for receptionist jobs

(8 Posts)
mummyoftwingirls26 Sun 19-Aug-18 19:14:07

Hi, I am looking to get into receptionist jobs (would really like to work in the nhs). I’ve worked in admin in estate agency for the last couple of years but before that was a live in nanny so I don’t have any direct experience. I don’t really have any qualifications (only 2 GCSEs) and was just wondering if completing some admin qualifications (e.g. Microsoft office qualifications, typing, audio typing etc) would increase my chances of getting a job? Would love to hear from anyone with any advice or if anyone who has completed admin qualifications found it to be helpful in finding a job?

OP’s posts: |
3tothreee333 Sat 25-Aug-18 19:48:48

Know people who have done reception jobs. Their job involved, greeting guests and ensuring they booked onto / off site with a security pass. Answering phone. Booking rooms for meetings and courses using book and online system. Giving out parking permits. Receiving and sending post. First aid and fire warden duties. Answering emails. Helping to organise charity events, collections for people leaving, babies etc. Obviously, each company will have different duties, you would need to clarify during the interview. Does this help ?

HoleyCoMoley Sat 25-Aug-18 19:53:17

Have you looked at the job descriptions and job specs for nhs reception or admin jobs, do you have computer skills, they will train you on their own system.

elkiedee Mon 10-Sep-18 18:26:59

Has your estate agency work included reception type duties, eg dealing with people phoning and coming in to the office.

Lots of people doing these jobs in the NHS probably don't have specific training but will have got the jobs on experience and skills - look at job descriptions and person specifications for jobs in your area. If you're applying for a job with a lot of children as patients you might be able to use skills gained from nannying too. Everything can help.

There are specific qualifications for medical reception, admin and sec jobs - there is an organisation called AMSPAR which works with City and Guilds and you can do an FE college course. It might be useful to do such a course to add to your GCSEs, or if you can get a job it might then be useful to get relevant training.

Longdistance Mon 10-Sep-18 18:35:43

I’m a school receptionist. I don’t have any qualifications as such, but worked in a building society for a few years to build up my office skills.

I now, answer the door, sign visitors in, answer the phone, answer emails, edit the school website, write letters and other communications to parents, write/edit a weekly newsletter, compile form lists, fire register, liaise with other schools on events such as sports and debating competitions.

I looked at working in admin in the NHS, but it didn’t pay very well, and with the school I’m earning more, and have the school holidays off 🤷🏼‍♀️

PerspicaciaTick Mon 10-Sep-18 18:39:09

I did free Business Admin and IT user courses through vision2learn which lead to proper qualifications.
www.vision2learn.net/courses
I would thoroughly recommend them, the tutors and support were great.

elkiedee Mon 10-Sep-18 19:06:36

Thanks Perspicacia, which courses did you do?

PerspicaciaTick Mon 10-Sep-18 19:25:02

I did these 2 over about 6 months.
www.vision2learn.net/course/free/121/business-and-administration-level-2

www.vision2learn.net/course/free/107/essential-it-skills-level-2

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in