Talk

Advanced search

Former business owner CV

(7 Posts)
bravobravo Fri 03-Aug-18 19:53:19

I want to wind my business up and seek part time work. I'm tired, had crap health and no longer want to be on call 24/7. However I'm sitting here worried that because I've been self-employed for over 20 years, it's likely that I'll be deemed a jack-of-all trades master of none (which is probably a fair assessment).
I've had no problems listing my transferable skills, yet I'm at a loss which suitable reason to offer in why I want to close my business.
No employer wants to hear, "I don't want to work hard anymore", "lack of growth."
Any ideas how I can put a positive spin on this please.smile

BounceAndJump Fri 03-Aug-18 19:57:10

Dont focus on why you want to leave your business, answer by saying why you want to go into the role that you're applying for as your preference over the business.

bravobravo Fri 03-Aug-18 19:58:27

..but if they ask in an interview?

BounceAndJump Fri 03-Aug-18 20:01:50

So if they say why did you stop the business answer along the lines of I've been wanting to change career to (new job) because I like (what is relevent) aspect.

There doesn't need to be a problem for someone to leave a job, a preference of a new job is a perfectly good reason.

bravobravo Fri 03-Aug-18 20:20:01

Thanks Bounce, in my head I have a negative response for every question. Something I need to snap out of.

tinofbeans Wed 08-Aug-18 17:32:18

Hi bravo,

I closed my business and explained that I didn't enjoy managing the cashflow and I wanted a better worklife balance. I'm now looking forward to starting my new PT job in September :-)

User19992018 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:21:00

I've also used "I want to be part of something bigger than just what I am doing." and "I want to be around people and be part of a team" - "People can achieve so much when they work together etc" blah blah blah :D

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: