Talk

Advanced search

Going back to work

(11 Posts)
Workvsbaby Fri 20-Jul-18 16:48:19

So I have been trying to sort out me going back to work since the end of May. After going back and forth and being left hanging for 6 weeks I have been told there is nothing in my department at work and I will be passed to central recuitment to see if they can accommodate my reduced hours (i was working full time mon-fri and now want to work wed-fri) I was then told if central recuitment cant find me a department i either go back full time (lord knows where to as nobody can accommodate 22.5 how can they cover 37.5) or i will be forced to resign.

I will find out in the next week or so if I can be accommodated. And just to clarify I am a clerk for the nhs.

I now feel like i have to choose between working and being a mother. I had an internal plan that i was going to be full time again when she is a little older but Im still breast feeding and she is growing so fast. We are a one income household due to my husband being disabled and the childcare is being provided by family but I cant rely on them for childcare monday to friday as they also have jobs.

I guess why ive posted this is to ask what any of you would do and if anyone has any kind words as I had a massive cry about this earlier as its causing so much unrequired stress.

OP’s posts: |
boylovesmeerkats Fri 20-Jul-18 17:37:44

I really feel for you, my old job was the same and many are (pregnant then screwed website is full of stories!) Luckily my old employer said so much they weren't meant to I ended up with a generous payout. I'd have taken them to a tribunal otherwise but the NHS are probably more careful.

If I hadn't have been 'paid off' I'd have resigned, it was clearly what they expected me to do. There are other jobs out there, I worked as a school governors clerk for a few years as most of it was working from home. I've just been offered a 2 day a week job with ok pay (£24k) so maybe there is a 3rd option? Or if you can stomach it go back and then put in another flex request, although I think maybe you can't apply for more than one in 12 months? Are there any jobs advertised that you can do to show them as an example? Good luck, but you're not alone.

mrs2468 Fri 20-Jul-18 17:41:22

Because whilst you can apply for flexible working or part time your not guaranteed. Your role is full time and if you were to only go back part time they have to find someone to make up the difference in hours which can be difficult and costly.

mrs2468 Fri 20-Jul-18 17:44:00

Whilst I understand your upset i don't think there is much you can do about it. Unless you go back full time until something part time comes up

Caribbeanyesplease Fri 20-Jul-18 17:53:37

*(lord knows where to as nobody can accommodate 22.5 how can they cover 37.5) or i will be forced to resign. *

Because many jobs are simply not suitable for part time hours

RandomMess Fri 20-Jul-18 18:11:28

Pay for the other 2 days of childcare?

boylovesmeerkats Fri 20-Jul-18 18:31:28

Many more jobs can be part time than is claimed otherwise, just because it's been that way doesn't mean it has to be or is even most effective. People work part time at all levels whether formally or on projects/secondments it's a perfectly reasonable request. The least the op deserves is decent treatment and explanation even if it's declined.

No reason why everyone shouldn't have the chance to work and care for family.

Workvsbaby Fri 20-Jul-18 18:38:17

In my dept there are several people working part time same hours different day so not exactly like being part time is unusal (prior to mat leave i was one of two full timers) myself and a colleague went on mat leave 8 weeks apart and should be job sharing as she is doing mon tues. Im not expecting bending over backwards and exceptional treatment but to be treat the same as other workers would be nice. (There are two mums who are part time the rest of the part timers are 50/60+ but it seems that the older staff have an easier time changing thier working hours than the mums who are told they have to fit around the department regardless of the implications even if it leads to staff leaving)

OP’s posts: |
mrs2468 Fri 20-Jul-18 18:57:33

Just because others do it doesn't mean you are entitled too. Follow the hr process by law they have to give you reason for refusal in writing. They maybe can't accommodate more part time people at the moment. If they are t following procedure that's one thing but if they are then you just have to suck it up.

burblife Fri 20-Jul-18 19:10:46

Applying for flexible working
Employees can apply for flexible working if they’ve worked continuously for the same employer for the last 26 weeks. It’s known as ‘making a statutory application.’
The basic steps are:
1The employee writes to the employer.
2The employer considers the request and makes a decision within 3 months - or longer if agreed with the employee.
3If the employer agrees to the request, they must change the terms and conditions in the employee’s contract.
4If the employer disagrees, they must write to the employee giving the business reasons for the refusal. The employee may be able to complain to an employment tribunal.

Have you followed this process? If so, what was the response from work?

burblife Fri 20-Jul-18 19:12:23

Reasons for rejecting
Employers can reject an application for any of the following reasons:
•extra costs that will damage the business
•the work can’t be reorganised among other staff
•people can’t be recruited to do the work
•flexible working will affect quality and performance
•the business won’t be able to meet customer demand
•there’s a lack of work to do during the proposed working times
•the business is planning changes to the workforce

If they have rejected your application, they should have given one of these reasons.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in