Any Java programmers out there?

(7 Posts)
FrauNeuer Wed 18-Jul-18 13:33:50

Hi everyone, just looking for some advice.

I’ll start my maternity leave in 4 weeks, currently employed as a Systems Administrator but fixed term, so no guarantee of being able to go back after I’ve had my baby and, equally, I have no idea when I may want to return.

I’m looking to increase my chances of securing a good job when I do return and wondered if anyone has experience of Oracle Java certification and whether it worth my while studying for an exam whilst I’m taking maternity leave. Is it generally something that employers look for, is it particularly sought after?

I’m an IT graduate but don’t have any accredited vocational qualifications, just experienced in systems and data analysis, SQL, systems support.

OP’s posts: |
User19992018 Thu 19-Jul-18 14:36:25

I'm sure Java would be useful, without a doubt - I don't work in the industry but family member does.

With your SQL and data, what about looking at data science qualifications? There's a huge boom in data science roles at the moment it's like the next big thing, manipulating lots of data.

FrauNeuer Thu 19-Jul-18 20:27:37

Thanks for your reply. smile

I did look into doing something like that, too. I think IBM do a couple of accredited programmes in big data that I also liked the look of. I was just really swayed by the Java stuff because where I live (north east) seems to be flooded with opportunities for junior developers and it is something I know a bit about, but would certainly need some work to bring my knowledge up to standard.

I’ll have a proper look at data science. It really is where my current skills (not to mention interests) lie.

I think I’m just desperate to make sure that my brain doesn’t turn to sludge whilst on maternity! wink

OP’s posts: |
PersianCatLady Tue 24-Jul-18 13:42:00

Before you decide to do a Java based qualification, I would just look and see what employers are looking for in recruits at present.

Java is a very popular language but it may make more sense to get qualifications in one of the newer languages.

That way you will have the latest skills and you won't be competing against so many people who also have the same qualifications (like you would with Java).

PersianCatLady Tue 24-Jul-18 13:46:06

www.codingdojo.com/blog/7-most-in-demand-programming-languages-of-2018/
This is USA based data but see how Java is getting less popular whereas languages like Python are becoming more popular??

www.itjobswatch.co.uk/IT-Job-Market/UK/Programming-Languages
This is current up to June 2018 and is UK based data

MIdgebabe Tue 24-Jul-18 13:56:15

Backing data analytics , big data and python

Given your background what about Hadoop & big data system admin?

Hoppinggreen Sat 28-Jul-18 22:07:23

My DH is a Java developer and is very much in demand
He is very experienced though

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in