Talk

Advanced search

4 days or 3?

(4 Posts)
Bess17 Sun 01-Jul-18 10:57:26

Yesterday 22:48 Bess17

I'm returning to work after nearly 3 years off with dd (6) and ds (4). My youngest starts school in September and I've been lucky enough to secure a job offer. I applied for a 3 day maternity post (term time only) which I've been offered but they also said a f/t had come up which they were willing to offer me, 80% of a f/t post (4 days) on a permanent basis. I'm slightly swayed by the offer of a permanent post but slightly worried that I'll be doing a f/t post in 4 days and I'm also worried about the kids being in afterschool care for 4 days, espeacially my youngest who will be in reception. The pay isn't amazing as it's a public sector job so I wouldn't be paying tax on a 3 day week but would for a 4. Really torn on what's for the best really. 4 days would mean my oldest would have to give up two after school activities that she loves. My dh earns a wage that gets us by but we have had to be frugal over the last couple of years on his income alone. Would be grateful for people's thoughts on this.

OP’s posts: |
WineGummyBear Sun 01-Jul-18 18:19:03

I've worked both 3 and 4 days and have positive experiences of both.

Reading your post through a second time, it seems like you would prefer the 3 day post.

If you are going from zero to 3 days, you will still notice an improvement in your income!

MsJuniper Sun 01-Jul-18 18:27:22

When I went up from 3 days to 4 I felt like I was basically doing a f/t job for 4/5 salary. I ended up going f/t anyway as I felt quite resentful.

I'd only do 4 days if it were compressed hours in future.

Bess17 Sun 01-Jul-18 18:55:48

Thanks so much for your responses. You're right WineGummyBear, after I've had some time to think about I think the 3 days would be better for me. Ms Juniper this is my worry exactly, it's not as if 20% of the job is going to disappear!! However, I've shown some interest in the 4 day post now as felt I little pressured tbh. I've asked if I can spread the hours over 5 days to fit in with school hours and I don't think they're keen so I'm hoping the 3 day option is still available'as there was mention of giving the maternity post to another candidate, even though we hadn't come to an agreement on the 4 days!! Feel very lucky to have a job offer so soon but am so stressed about it at the moment!!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in