Talk

Advanced search

What could someone like me do?

(9 Posts)
Tinkobell Fri 29-Jun-18 13:03:51

47 not worked for 14 years want to do something with my life. Have a degree in languages, 13 years outdated FMCG category management experience, am arty/good at graphics & painting. Haven't got a clue what to do though - any ideas appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
User19992018 Fri 29-Jun-18 13:10:53

Would you consider FMCG again?

14 years is quite a long time is it? Or is it? A bottle of shampoo is a bottle of shampoo right? :D Though granted the marketing of it all has changed a lot probably with all the social media around now.

Could you retrain as a graphic designer? Would you enjoy that?

Do you want to work full-time or part-time?

That's probably the biggest question of all as that will determine what kind of opportunities you could go for.

Full-time - is there anything here: wrpn.womenreturners.com/returnships/

Part-time - that's a whole different kettle of fish.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 29-Jun-18 13:16:21

Ok,work out your can do’s and requirements
What kind of work can you do?
Client facing, working in team or on individual project
Do you want to work with your language skills- what about an interpreter role for NHS, social services they all book interpreters for client meetings
Do you want to return to retail
Do you want to use your art skills
Are your IT skills up to date
Do you need to collect kids,finish at set times
Can you work weeekednd and or evenings
What wage do you need to earn

NoSquirrels Fri 29-Jun-18 13:25:26

What are your ‘soft’ skills - are you a people person, are you detail and project focused or more of an ideas generator, do you like working independently or in a collaborative team etc etc

Take some personality psychometric quizzes eg Myers-Briggs and see if anything resonates.

What have you enjoyed doing in the last 14 years - do you want a total change or a sidestep?

Tinkobell Fri 29-Jun-18 13:37:58

Many Thanks ...marketing skills are soooo behind esp anything digital, packages, SEO etc...and to be honest, without sounding cruel I honestly don't think a 47 year old face would fit in FMCG world any more. I am very peopley, competitive and I've actually always loved selling - ideas and products.
I'm good at designy stuff - space planning, interiors & projects (managed building a house) .....?????

Tinkobell Fri 29-Jun-18 13:38:58

Last did a Myers Briggs 20 years ago! 😂

Tinkobell Fri 29-Jun-18 13:42:01

Return to work looks very banking and consultancy based ...I'm not of that world....I guess those firms have quotas to hit.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 29-Jun-18 13:42:20

What hours do you want to work?FT, PT, evenings, weekends
You’re still being a big vague. What is designsy stuff? how’ll that manifest as a job
What do you want to do?

NoSquirrels Fri 29-Jun-18 21:03:45

So you’re good at projects with multiple angles, and visualising the big picture etc. You can sell and customer facing would be a happy place for you.

What are you interests?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in