Talk

Advanced search

Nhs references for sahm

(6 Posts)
Heliumandsnow Tue 26-Jun-18 09:16:11

Can anybody advise on references for the Nhs? They require employer references, but after 10 years plus as sahm/periods of self employment , also years since studying, this is problematic. Also no real voluntary work, aside from listening to children read in school sometimes. The references can't be character references, so although lots of people could give these , it wouldn't be sufficient. The position is a trainee level that includes study. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
CharlotteFlax Tue 26-Jun-18 09:20:30

I used our local vicar for a reference after volunteering at the church playgroup for a number of years. I wasn't a churchgoer but she was happy to help.

Why not ring and ask what they suggest for references in your situation.

Heliumandsnow Tue 26-Jun-18 09:26:58

Thanks charlotteflax.
I did speak to them and they seemed as unsure as me... Well almost that they'd never encountered someone who'd taken such a long "career break".
I could get Vicar/ Doctor/ headteacher etc, but they need something more apparently . As these are only classed as 'character references'

Heliumandsnow Tue 26-Jun-18 09:27:23

@charlotteflax was it Nhs?

CharlotteFlax Tue 26-Jun-18 09:44:54

Yes it was NHS. I had 4/5 years as a "career break" and basically started afresh from a career in insurance into healthcare. I got a reference from my most recent workplace and the one from the vicar.

I think as long as you do the best you can to get two references (if that's what they've asked for) then the fact that they're character ones shouldn't really matter. The NHS is crying out for decent people, I'm sure they'll accept whoever you find as a referee.

BobbinsBoo1 Tue 26-Jun-18 12:00:33

I've just got a job in the NHS after 13 years as a sahm. I did some studying over the years so I used a reference from one of my lecturer's and a character reference from a friend. Because I had been out of the workplace for so long the recruitment team were happy to accept a character reference from me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in