If I don’t returned to work would I be able to claim any benefits?

(24 Posts)
Beebee02 Thu 14-Jun-18 20:50:26

I’m wondering if anyone can help? Me and my OH are going to start ttc soon. I know this question may be premature but I just like to know facts. If I don’t return to work after maternity- would I be entitled to claim anything? My partner works part time 20
Hours I currently work full time. I had a look on the internet but I can’t really find any information on this?

OP’s posts: |
TitsalinaBumsquat Sun 17-Jun-18 10:30:15

Look on the entitled to website. Depends on what your OH earns but probably housing benefit, child benefit and child tax credits

PrincessCuntsuelaVaginaHammock Mon 18-Jun-18 16:47:00

Completely depends on circumstances. Nobody is going to be able to give you any idea without info on his income, your savings and your housing situation.

mimibunz Mon 18-Jun-18 16:52:31

Seriously? How can you even think this way? You will have a child to support.

AgentProvocateur Mon 18-Jun-18 17:00:46


ScaredPAD Mon 18-Jun-18 17:12:49

I think it depends what h8s earnings are and how many hours you work between you.

I'd completely or work if it wasn't worth it!

HeyDolly Mon 18-Jun-18 17:21:25

Is there a reason why your partner wouldn’t be able to increase their hours?

Monday55 Mon 18-Jun-18 20:08:44

On paper how are your outgoings?

You can def get child benefits which is approx £20 a week for your 1st child and child tax credits. Use the entitled to website to calculate.

Strawberrybelly Mon 18-Jun-18 20:10:16

Your Dp would have to work over 30 hours for you to claim working tax credit.

greendale17 Mon 18-Jun-18 20:18:19

*Seriously? How can you even think this way? You will have a child to support.*

Benefits are for people who need it. Not irresponsible people like you how can’t be bothered to support their child before it is even born.

Ellieboolou27 Mon 18-Jun-18 20:24:56

Why can’t you return to work?

PlaymobilPirate Mon 18-Jun-18 20:28:48

I hope the benefit system isn't screwed enough to allow you to tbh. At least one of you needs to be working full time.

SandysMam Mon 18-Jun-18 20:34:02

Yes please!! It would give me so much pleasure when I bust my arse juggling work, kids and a serious chronic illness to know I am paying for you to enjoy your baby full time with no breakfast club dashes or midnight housework. Make it happen OP, that would be just fantastic!! hmm

lifechangesforever Mon 18-Jun-18 20:37:25

Surely before you consider giving up a full time job completely, your partner should be increasing your income by getting a full time job?

Benefits are for those in need, not those who just decide to leave their jobs, especially when presumably, they're the main earner.

ToddlerIs2 Mon 18-Jun-18 20:39:07

Ok OP you're going to get a rough ride when it would seemingly leave you primarily reliant on benefits just because you want to be.

Why don't you want to go back?
Are you married?
Why doesn't he work full time?
Will he if you quit?
What are his wages / your savings like?

I don't work, DH works full time. We get family and working tax credits, child benefit but nothing towards housing benefit and that's on 19.5k

expatinscotland Mon 18-Jun-18 20:40:59

Can your partner stop work then? I think if you're in a UC area this isn't going to work at all. If he is working fewer hours, then get married and he becomes the SAHP. Or swap shifts so one of you is home with the child.

expatinscotland Mon 18-Jun-18 20:42:40

It's a seriously bad idea, tbh. Especially if you are renting. NO ONE will take LHA/HB in private letting, many councils don't have any stock and plenty of landlords are 'no kids'.

Adviceplease360 Mon 18-Jun-18 20:48:35

Not sure, would it not be classed as avoiding work or something?
Agree its wrong in principle though to deliberately not work so you can claim benefits.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 18-Jun-18 21:02:14

Adviceplease360 you can't claim job seeking benefits but they can't penalise you as such for not working especially with a child under 5. I'm not sure of the criteria for income support though

Fiirefly Sat 23-Jun-18 09:39:56

For couples I believe you must work 26 hours, potentially 30. I can't remember the rules exactly.

PrincessCuntsuelaVaginaHammock Sat 23-Jun-18 18:51:00

For couples, child tax credits it's 28. UC is different though.

MrsGrindah Sat 23-Jun-18 18:54:18

You had a look on the internet but couldn’t find any information about this? Which internet did you use?!

NameChange30 Sat 23-Jun-18 18:59:57

You’ll definitely get Child Benefit but that’s only £20.70/week.

Working hours don’t affect eligibility for child tax credits, if you have a child and your income is under the threshold, you get them whether you work or not.

However, to be eligible for working tax credits, if you’re in a couple with a child, you have to work at least 24 hours a week between you.

You may get Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction too.

Are you and your partner married? Do you have savings? Debts? Pensions? Why does he work just 20 hours a week?

Caribbeanyesplease Sat 23-Jun-18 19:01:58


Depending on Danilo income
Your would be entitled to child tax credits and child benefit

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in