Talk

Advanced search

Return to work...References??

(7 Posts)
ShellsBells76 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:58:37

I have been a stay at home Mum since I had my eldest DD13 I have helped out with my brothers business in the Finance dept. but no paid employment.

I want to return to work and have started searching but who the hell do I put down as references??

The one I am looking at now says obviously no friends or family just 2 previous employments? But surely I can't put those from so long ago?

Any advice.

OP’s posts: |
LordVoldemortsMissingNose Tue 12-Jun-18 14:14:40

I am returning to work this week after 6 years off. My old employers couldn't give a reference as it was too long ago. My new employer asked for two character references instead from a list of acceptable professions. It's definitely tricky when you've had a gap!

ShellsBells76 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:16:14

Thanks Lord, maybe I'll email them and ask.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Tue 12-Jun-18 17:18:17

Volunteering can help with references

ShellsBells76 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:53:24

I do already volunteer in my both my daughters schools and I run the First Communion programme for my church which takes up a lot of time so coupled with the finance stuff I do I don't think I could fit much more volunteer stuff in!

SuperLoudPoppingAction Tue 12-Jun-18 20:36:29

You should check with the organisations you're applying to, but as an employer I would accept volunteering references from eg a school and a vicar.

ShellsBells76 Tue 12-Jun-18 20:41:08

Will do, thank you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in