Talk

Advanced search

Part time 2 or 3 days a week or half days all week

(20 Posts)
ohh Wed 06-Jun-18 21:20:17

Sorry to restart this thread but I am doing the same workings out!

If offered the job going for I can say days or half days. I want days but then 10 year old DS will have to stop after school clubs.

No grandparents to take him. So do I work 9-2 to take to clubs for a few years then 3 days when at secondary school? Never mind the school holidays and childcare. sad

Anyone else in my position?

Thanks

superram Wed 06-Jun-18 21:28:31

Half days term time, long days holidays?

123bananas Wed 06-Jun-18 21:32:27

I would just go for the full days. At 10 he will not mind after school club and he can do other activities on the other days you are off. Regular full days will make it easier for holiday childcare arrangements.

Ringonrighthand Wed 06-Jun-18 21:36:53

Definitely full days, unless you have childcare issues. I do 3 days a week and it's perfect as I get two days to myself to go to gym, meet friends, do shopping, housework etc! I wouldn't feel like working every day is part time and I know the part timer in my office never gets away as early as she's meant to!

MummyFoxy Wed 06-Jun-18 21:52:10

I did half days (1-5) 5 days a week. I lasted about 6 months in the job before I quit. Even though I was only doing 4 hours a day, I basically felt like I was doing full time as I couldn't really relax or get much done in the morning. The 9-2 hours you have been offered would be a bit better, as you would have a lot of the afternoon left, but I would still go for full days to give you full days off where you don't have to think about work at all.

ohh Thu 07-Jun-18 11:05:42

Thank you for your replies [flower]

I think I am going to say 2 to 3 days as originally said full time in September, but even now it looks like I wont be able to do that as son has educational needs. At least with 2 days off i can arrange meetings with support staff etc.

Its not a long commute, but I will have to arrange for someone to collect child from school. My elder daughter has offered to look after until I or dad are home. So technically 30 mins cover required only after school pick up.

I think that the offer might be withdrawn in the summer holidays mind!I am trying to get the days off when he does the 2 extra clubs that start at 1630 to 1730. At least he wont be too affected then although I would be working Monday, Tuesday and Friday!

The job is busiest Mon and Fri so think they will go with that.

xx

ohh Thu 07-Jun-18 15:53:11

Just checked my diary and as its my sons last year there is loads of things going on.

I might as well just be honest and say I cannot work until August or September unless you don't mind me being flakey and taking time off left right and centre to attend leaver parties and shows!

I must have been mad to think I could start work just yet. blush

OhHolyJesus Thu 07-Jun-18 15:57:14

Just had his conversation with DH as I interviewed for a job this week after 2.5 years as SAHM. Now I can't see how it would be possible but I would be so sad to say no (even if they do offer it to me).

DH seemed to be hit by the reality of him working less and doing more at home - having said in the past 'we would work it out'!

whyslippersocks Thu 07-Jun-18 16:09:22

Sounds like you've already made a decision, but if I can just throw in another thought? How strict can you be with leaving times at your work? I tried part time 'reduced hours' working for a while to supposedly mean that I could do the afternoon school run some days. In reality, once I was in the office it was made very hard to get away (I was never actually told NOT to leave, but lots of 'it'll only take a minute/really need to speak to you before you leave etc). It meant that I was always in a rush on the way to school and frequently late and calling in favours from friends on the way home. I also invariably left with a stash of work and requests to 'try' to look at it at home for the next morning. I ended up working full time hours (if partly at home) for part time pay. I think if I'd just been officially off all day several days a week colleagues (particularly my boss) would have understood better that I was not working, and not being paid, for that time rather than just slacking off.

stressedoutpa Thu 07-Jun-18 17:44:48

Full time days definitely.

I've worked every permutation and this would definitely be the best option for me.

Spend less time commuting
Spend less money on commuting
Only have to get ready for work three days a week
Less opportunity to work overtime be put upon - three days not five
It is far easier to do something 'significant' (i.e. day out or DIT task) if you have a full day rather than a few hours in the afternoon

stressedoutpa Thu 07-Jun-18 17:45:27

DIY task not DIT task! wink

ohh Fri 08-Jun-18 08:16:42

My teenage DD has just told me that I should let go. Meaning of the worrying of my youngest.

Apparently I'm cosseting him. Part of me thinks yes as I was a latch key child from year 7 (5 in old money!) but then I was an organised girl.

I'm going to go for 2/3 days if offered as its to good an opportunity to miss and might not get another in September.

Then will explain that if I have school things, will come in later or make up hours as 3 weeks its collect at lunchtime to take to other school! Or offer to work a different day for those 3 weeks.

Much easier to have flexible working when you are actually working.

Hindsight such a wonderful thing!

stressedoutpa Fri 08-Jun-18 10:39:02

Yay! Good luck.

What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work for you and you leave. It wouldn't be the end of the world and may be a great opportunity....

ohh Fri 08-Jun-18 12:02:10

stessedoutpa thank you xx

Of course, I could explain if working, oh I'm so sorry I need to pop out unpaid but will be back soon as. As long as they are aware that I will be inflexible until September! Don't want to talk myself out of the job.xx

I used to be such a positive person, but had a few bad experiences that has made me over protective of my children and worrying of altering routine.

Love to all.

ohh Fri 15-Jun-18 14:06:08

Hello Lovelies!

Good news. I have been offered the job! Part time 3 days a week for 7 weeks then full time. They are going to be flexible for the days I need to swap for my youngest school leaving. ie not working Wed or THurs need Tue off will work Wed.

Good hours 09-1700. No Saturdays like I used to work in the same trade. Also the maximum wage they were offering!!!!!

After 10 years out I feel blessed.

Thank you all so much for your input and advice.

flowers

PrimalLass Fri 15-Jun-18 14:46:49

That's great news. Well done.

ohh Fri 15-Jun-18 15:46:11

Thank you Primalass

stressedoutpa Fri 15-Jun-18 16:40:55

Well done! flowers

ohh Fri 15-Jun-18 17:57:46

Thanks stressedoutpa.

You were the best.

I'm working 3 days until September. Then if it is awful I can reduce they said. They seem very flexible.

Just need to sort child pick up now. Just 1 hour from one school to home where older child will be. Pain as not enough for a childminder, might pay a mum instead.

stressedoutpa Sun 17-Jun-18 00:31:43

It all sounds very promising. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: