Talk

Advanced search

Website design

(6 Posts)
Purplebutterfly320 Wed 06-Jun-18 19:53:33

I am considering retraining in website design.
Do you have any experience of this?
Is it a good idea? What course would be useful? Thank you!

daimbars Wed 06-Jun-18 20:05:19

It's quite niche to just do web design. Most graphic designers also do web design and most web editors and developers can design too.

Is it the design bit you are interested in or the whole idea of building a website from scratch?

Would you want to create small, bespoke websites or be part of a team designing a company website?

User17431743 Thu 07-Jun-18 10:09:35

Try designing your own website using the likes of Squarespace, Wix or the best of all Wordpress.

As the previous person responded, website design doesn't happen in isolation so much these days.

People want a graphic designer/website designer with a full suite of skills.

To give you an idea, I run a business and I'm currently on the lookout for a graphic designer who has full knowledge of wordpress too so they can create a unified look and feel across all my social media accounts, my website and my Office docs and any visuals that go out to my clients. Hope that makes sense. It means knowing how to install fonts in Wordpress that match up to the same ones in Word and same colours etc across multiple different platforms.

You could look at UX designer as well if you're interested in the process of how people do things. That's interesting too, worth googling.

daimbars Thu 07-Jun-18 13:26:07

I would have a play around with Wordpress - it's free and will give you an idea of how people design websites.

UX designer is a good idea. When I work with agencies the UX designer would be mapping out the customer journey and creating the wire frames.

angelman Fri 08-Jun-18 14:13:51

I would say it is now possibly the worst time to get into 'web design' if you intend to go it alone and try and market your service to small local clients. People just don't want to pay a decent amount for a website anymore, not when the likes of Wordpress, Squarespace or Wix exist for people to do it themselves, or when people like 1 and 1 or GoDaddy, with massive TV advertising budgets are peddling full and complete website solutions for £50....

As others have said, it's not enough to know how to create a website anymore, you need to keep adding supplementary skills to your armoury, and also probably need to consider working for a large company or an agency, or even if you freelance, you will need to target and pitch for jobs with big companies with big budgets. Otherwise, you just simply won't make enough money for it to be worthwhile.

I'd suggest if you are still interested in learning the skills to go for it anyway, but don't necessarily see it as training that will lead to a well paid job somewhere, or allow you to become self employed producing websites for individuals or small businesses.

I have been in the website game since 1999, and it is unbelievable how much it has changed, but in the last 5 years (coinciding with when I have been a SAHD), things have completely and utterly changed, so much so that my ability to re-enter the industry in the same capacity that I left it, is practically impossible.

Don't wish for this to sound all doom and gloom, but all is not rosy in the garden of web design in 2018.... feel free to PM me, I may have some other ideas for you.

StringandGlitter Fri 08-Jun-18 14:24:07

I don’t know about website design but a similar field if you’re interested in digital design is digital learning. I create e-learning courses for businesses. All self taught, the main packages I use are Articulate Storyline (to create the course), Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for graphics and Premier Pro for video.

The software itself is expensive, although you can download free trials and possibly get a student licence. There’s loads of free courses. If you have some budget for training then LinkedinLearning (formally Lynda learning) has loads of courses and us how I learned all the Adobe graphics packages. I expect there’s lots on web design on there too.

There’s loads of tutorials about instructional design, Storyline and elearning on www.articulate.com.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: