Talk

Advanced search

Sahm for 3,years starting my job hunt now- anyone else been there or doing it now? Moral support thread

(9 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sun 03-Jun-18 18:53:09

Ok been a sahm since I redundancy when I was pregnant with dc2.
I wanted a career change so while I’ve been at home I’ve volunteered x4, started a part time masters.
Wasn’t supposed to be looking for a job until ds starts school in 18 months but I really think it would be good for me pets and think ds would be happier at nursery too.
Right searching local council, nhs, charities- updated cv and cover letter.
Applied for 2 this weekend and got 2 more to do- how many before I would get an interview do you think? I’m hoping to have a job in next 4 months is that realistic?
I’m excited but nervous!
I hope my enthusiasm lasts but I know it will be difficult away from paid employment for so long to step into something quickly.

OP’s posts: |
Wishfulmakeupping Sun 03-Jun-18 21:12:22

Bumping

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 04-Jun-18 06:39:59

Bumpi

Horsedogbird Mon 04-Jun-18 16:00:44

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck

wishitwillbeme Tue 05-Jun-18 19:30:31

Good luck, some mums got back into work very quickly some needs some CVs/skills updating. If you haven't heard anything after a while you probably have to look into updating CV/skills etc.

Good luck!

RabbitsAreTasty Tue 05-Jun-18 19:38:38

It'll be fine.

Just don't make the mistake of underselling yourself.

I've got a huge work ego but after maternity leave even I started feeling like a bit of a fraud and found myself wanting to only apply for the jobs where I could definitely 100% do the job, i.e. too easy and a backwards step professionally.

An old bat I have a lot of respect for told me not to make that mistake. I had a word with myself, sucked up the fear, got a job worthy of my skills, never apologised to employers for the constraints resulting from being a mother and never looked back.

Now I'm the old bat passing the advice on to you.

Good luck.

Neolara Sat 09-Jun-18 19:39:01

Good luck. Just wanted to give you hope... I've just been offered a job after 14 years as a sahm. It can be done!

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 09-Jun-18 20:15:54

Well done neolara that’s fantastic 🎉
I needed that yesterday I got my first rejection letter - I spent 5 hours on that application met every criteria was a wake up call not to even get an interview.

OhHolyJesus Tue 12-Jun-18 20:27:06

Hi Wishful,
God that sucks I'm sorry.

I'm two years into being a SAHM and just dipping my toe in returning to work since March. Yesterday I got a rejection following my first interview in 5 years and whilst I'm grateful for the interview experience (and it's opened up a huge discussion with DH about the reality of childcare!) it's tough to realise how hard it is out there.

I guess I just wanted to say you're not alone and you have value. You never know who you're up against, if they have someone internal lining up for the role or simply don't want to interview many candidates.

You always have that application prep to use for another future role xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in