Government legal department

(4 Posts)
harrietm87 Wed 30-May-18 17:54:09

Can anyone tell me me what it's like to work here compared to private practice and, if moving from private practice, when's the best time to do it?

I've always wanted to work for the GLD/GLS. Currently 4pqe magic circle litigation and on mat leave. Not sure whether to try to move soonish or stay at current firm to have another baby and then move at say 6-7pqe. Appreciate it may not make much difference!

OP’s posts: |
Ihatenicknames Fri 20-Jul-18 17:36:41

Sorry, only just seen this. I worked for a US firm and then moved to the GLD before having my children. The plus points are a) work-life balance and b) interesting work. The negatives are a) poor pay and b) bureaucracy. I don’t regret the move and would be very happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

harrietm87 Mon 23-Jul-18 17:39:26

Thanks so much for responding @Ihatenicknames. What pqe were you when you moved and what level did you go in at (grade 7?). Is it right that grade 6 posts are basically only for internal applicants? Asking because I'm the breadwinner so not sure we can afford the huge pay cut, though the better work life balance may be worth it if we can manage to afford it. Do you work full time and what are your hours like?

harrietm87 Mon 06-Aug-18 21:37:05

Just bumping for @Ihatenicknames and anyone else!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in