Talk

Advanced search

4 day week.. will I be less stressed? And which day off?

(37 Posts)
Sounsure777 Tue 29-May-18 22:01:02

So im currently full time and struggling! I do 3 days in office a week (1.5 hour commute each way) and 2 days working from home. Im dropping to 4 days from july and just trying to struggle through till then! Does 4 days make a big difference? Luckily my job I wont be cramming 5 days in 4 so thats good but will I still be exhausted?! Im hoping it will be much easier.

I have one ds .. 6 years old and cany wait to have one day off to drop and collect him!

Which day is the best to not work? My commute is awful with traffic and friday is a good day to work in office. Im thinking a monday off is best as traffic is awful on a mon! But i wonder if maybe a thurs off is better? I definitely want to work fridays as its a 'nice' day to work!!

OP’s posts: |
Notveryladylike Tue 29-May-18 22:03:25

I work full time aswell but recently I've managed to get some Thursdays off and I feel it makes a difference although I wish it was a Friday or a money so I could have a long weekend. I would go for the Monday.

Itscurtainsforyou Tue 29-May-18 22:06:23

I used to have Wednesdays off - it was great. You were only ever a couple of days from a day off.

Acidrain Tue 29-May-18 22:08:19

I work Monday - Thursday, so I have a long weekend and also get an extra days holiday for working a Bank Holiday.
Which tipped it for me, also DS has swimming lessons on Friday which also helped make up my mind! "

Crimbles Tue 29-May-18 22:08:36

I work 4 days and have Mondays off. It's great! No Sunday blues. I definitely recommend it!

Timefortea99 Tue 29-May-18 22:08:45

Monday. I don’t work on a Fri but I get what you mean about Fri being a good day to work.

Sounsure777 Wed 30-May-18 08:27:12

Thanks everyone! Crimbles.. does it make a big difference.. 4 days instead of 5? Ideally 3 would be more of a work life balance but financially its too much of a cut :-/

OP’s posts: |
Boredboredboredboredbored Wed 30-May-18 08:29:05

I do 4 days 8-6pm so full time. I have a Wednesday off like a pp it breaks up the week for me a treat.

BigGreenOlives Wed 30-May-18 08:30:20

Only problem with Mondays is that you get Bank Holidays off rather than a different day off that week (& there are 4 a year).

drspouse Wed 30-May-18 08:35:03

I have Friday off (but many people WFH so the office is dead). DH has Tuesdays and likes to break the week up.
I'd go for Monday if I were you!

drspouse Wed 30-May-18 08:36:06

(I am soon to switch to Mon and Fri mornings plus full days the other days. I'll mainly be working from home those two days)

Thirtyrock39 Wed 30-May-18 08:36:11

Wednesday off is brilliant breaks up the week gives time to recharge.
I actually like working Fridays (often a popular day off) as everyone's in a good mood and you feel that 'wahey it's the weekend' when you leave work and I like having a block of two days at work then a day off then two more days - never feels like a slog at the start of the week

Boredboredboredboredbored Wed 30-May-18 08:38:15

I use my day off to free up my weekend from chores. I go for a run then housework, ironing and food shopping just means come Saturday I havent got to spend it cleaning and ironing!

GummyGoddess Wed 30-May-18 08:39:01

At our work if you don't work Monday then you have to use your holiday entitlement for bank holidays. Maybe check how your work would handle them if you do go for a Monday.

FabulouslyFab Wed 30-May-18 08:39:02

I’ve not worked Wednesdays for four years. It’s brilliant. Breaks the week up and is totally my day as it doesn’t get dragged into anything that I’m doing at the weekend!

madeyemoodysmum Wed 30-May-18 08:41:58

Find out about the bank hols. If you have to work them will you get extra hols. I'd always have either mon or fri of as it gives you options for going away.

peachypetite Wed 30-May-18 08:45:25

Friends who have cut down to four say they are doing five days of work in four so essentially taking a pay cut but still churning out the same amount of work.

Butternutsquashy Wed 30-May-18 08:50:07

Wednesday without a doubt! Makes such a difference and breaks the week up, is also nice for DC to not have to have childcare 3 days or more on the trot. And is easier to have 2 consecutive working days.

Tonicwaterandgin Wed 30-May-18 08:51:31

Wednesday! Breaks up the week, if anything comes up that you need to do fairly urgently (new school shoes, car repairs) it seems so handy to only ever be 2 days max from a day when you can easily deal with it. In my experience having Mondays off I don't appreciate that day as I just feel like I'm catching up from the weekend and it's hard to find a hairdressers open on a Monday!

leighdinglady Wed 30-May-18 09:00:32

I moved to 4 days, taking Mondays off and it's honestly been life changing. I feel I have a much better work life balance and am less stressed. I can do so much more with a long weekend.

Thirtyrock39 Wed 30-May-18 10:28:47

The other great thing with a four day week is you can swap it if your kids are ill and you don't want to lose carers leave

Badhairday1001 Wed 30-May-18 10:31:45

I went to 4 days in Jan. I have a similar commute to you. I find it has had a massive positive impact and feels for me like the perfect balance. I have Mondays off which I would recommend too.

KitXi Wed 30-May-18 10:32:41

I initially thought I'd go for Monday if it was me, because of long weekends. But actually, Wednesdays sound really good, only ever having to do two days in a row!

drspouse Wed 30-May-18 11:01:27

The other great thing with a four day week is you can swap it if your kids are ill and you don't want to lose carers leave

This is HIGHLY dependent on your employer (and your job).
I can sometimes, but not other times, it depends what I have on that day. Same applies to husband. Some employers won't countenance it at all.

SpacePenguin Wed 30-May-18 11:38:20

I've had different days as my off-day over the years. Wednesday was my favourite.

But, I changed to Monday because my manager was finding a mid-week day out of the office harder to manage (in terms of being available to work with the team, particularly as must deadlines are Thurs/Fri). Would that be a factor for you?

Another factor to consider is your child's interests in various after-school activities, and the days they're held. Possibly not such a big thing while he's young, but it's a bonus as they get older to be able to sign them up for things you otherwise wouldn't be able to facilitate.

Your childcare facility might also have a preference for which day your child doesn't go. Ours does. And while it's not going to be the biggest factor in your decision, it's nice to check and try to align.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in