Talk

Advanced search

How do I still be mummy

(7 Posts)
greyweather Tue 29-May-18 08:55:50

Hi all. I'm going back to work next week (full time) after maternity leave. My baby boy is 8 months. We are so very fortunate in that my mum is able to look after him for the whole week. I will be gone from 8-4.30/5ish. He is such a dreamy happy baby, exclusively breastfed and I have always been able to soothe him by feeding him whenever necessary. He will take a bottle though so that's not really my concern. My worry is how do I still be mum when I'm missing his whole day? I am his world at the moment and knowing that's all about to change makes me so upset! How do you working mums manage it?

OP’s posts: |
Horsedogbird Tue 29-May-18 09:01:17

Are you able to go part time?

greyweather Tue 29-May-18 09:07:15

@Horsedogbird eventually yes, but our finances just won't allow it for a little while yet.

OP’s posts: |
tomhazard Tue 29-May-18 09:09:53

You are still his mum even though you're at work! You have evenings every day and weekends where you focus on him. You will have holidays where you can get away if you want to or do fun stuff at home.

Don't fall into feeling guilty for working- you are no less of a mum for working.

Blaablaablaa Tue 29-May-18 09:10:56

You will still be his world. You just make more of the evenings and weekends. I've worked full time since my DS was 10months and at nearly 4 we're still incredibly close. He's also developed lovely relationships at nursery.
Just see it as an opportunity for him to build a close relationship with your mum.

Wishmeluck2018 Thu 31-May-18 17:06:00

That's a funny thing being a mum. Even if you missed most of the days 5 days a week your baby still know you are someone special and love you the most. As long as you spend good quality time when not working you are a great mum.

Mooieminnie21 Wed 22-Aug-18 20:27:09

Hi greyweather,

I know this is an old post but I am due to return to work in a couple of weeks full time and have the same concerns. I'm just wondering how you found it and if you've got any words of wisdom??

Thanks. X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in