Talk

Advanced search

Reference before interview whilst on maternity leave

(4 Posts)
QueenGoblin Thu 10-May-18 22:18:14

Hi all, I guess I am looking for some advice/thoughts about a job application..

I am currently on maternity leave and very much doubt I will be returning to my job for a few reasons, money and time out of the house being the big ones, but I have not yet handed in my notice.

I have been casually browsing to see if anything more local comes up (my job is a bit niche) and amazingly something has.

The problem is that when they ask for references they say that one must be your current employer (which isn't a problem) and that they will contact references before interview. This would obviously be a bit awkward! Are they really likely to contact them before interview?

My husband has suggested adding a note to the reference to ask them not to contact prior to the interview but I feel like the fact they have so explicitly stated that they will be contacting references, it would mean they wouldn't really care. I guess I'm not planning on going back so it shouldn't be a problem if they do contact them, but I don't know. It just doesn't feel right!

OP’s posts: |
ZiggyStardusters Thu 10-May-18 22:22:34

I work in education where it is accepted practice to request references before interview. If a candidate requests that we don't contact current employer unless they are successful I will respect that.

QueenGoblin Thu 10-May-18 22:30:39

It is standard practice? That does surprise me, but I guess it's just because I have never come across it before.

Would a note saying something like "Please do not contact unless application/interview is successful" be ok?

OP’s posts: |
MumsforebayXguardianvideo Mon 18-Jun-18 13:47:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in