Talk

Advanced search

Back to work after 20 years as sahm! At 53. Really bloody thrilled.

(34 Posts)
ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 30-Apr-18 09:10:44

I hope this gives people hope! Been thinking about returning to work over the last few years, but the timing hasn’t been quite right. I want to work in admin and particularly the NHS and more particularly within a hospital. So for the past 6 months I’ve been volunteering in an admin post just one day a week, to get up-to-date office skills.

I applied for 12 jobs, had 4 interviews and was offered the job I last interviewed for. So age wasn’t an issue or being at home for so long, to getting to interview stage.

So so chuffed. Can’t wait to start. It’s full time.

I loved my first chunk of working life before the kids. I loved the long time I had at home. Now I know I will love this next stage of working until retirement.

I hope that’s given hope to those looking.

OP’s posts: |
DontDrinkDontSmoke Mon 30-Apr-18 09:19:07

Congratulations

I hope the job lives up to your expectations.

I recently returned full time after several years SAHM and I’m loving it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 30-Apr-18 09:24:56

That’s great to hear DontDrink. I don’t have great expectations that the job will be very interesting but I’m so looking forward to being in the workplace again. I can come on mn and moan with everyone else about sahm with schoolage children grin! There seem to be a lot of those types of threads.

niknac1 Mon 30-Apr-18 09:25:33

Congratulations, I wondered if I could ask where and how you got the voluntary work as I would also love to return to work after time looking after my children. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you could give.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 30-Apr-18 09:33:43

Oh well done op. Good luck in your new role.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 30-Apr-18 09:46:46

Thank you Bit

niknac1 I’ll pm you.

niknac1 Mon 30-Apr-18 09:48:53

Thank you very much, I appreciate any advice you can give.

PamsterWheel Mon 30-Apr-18 09:54:15

Nice one!

PedestrianAtBest Mon 30-Apr-18 09:59:44

Congratulations and good luck!

Purplehammer Mon 30-Apr-18 10:01:03

Your thread has brightened my morning.
I bet it,s your positive personality that shone out.
Enjoy your job and never lose your zest for life.
Thanks for cheering me up.😎

Yvest Mon 30-Apr-18 10:02:46

Good for you! I’ve recently gone back to 4 days a week after years of 2 days or 3 short days and I’m loving every minute, best thing I’ve done in a long time

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 30-Apr-18 10:13:59

Aw thanks Purplehammer what a lovely thing to say. I was very nervous at the last interview as I really wanted that job. They asked none of the questions I had researched that they would ask, and had prepared answers for. Felt I waffled on inanely, and with more than one question I had forgotten what the actual question was by the end of my waffle! They said I came over very confidently but I really didn’t feel I was at the time. I could hear my voice shaking.

And good for you ^Yvest*, I love that employers are quite flexible.

Flicketyflack Mon 30-Apr-18 10:19:27

Fabulous!

Enjoy this new stage of life it sounds like you have been waiting for it a long time smile

I am in a similarly position after a long period at home and looking to retrain when my youngest goes to secondary! I am sure I have another 15 years work left in me! wink

babyblackbird Mon 30-Apr-18 10:22:29

Wow !! Good for you !! I think half the battle is just having the confidence to try, which I haven't got yet but I have started volunteering in a primary school 2 afternoons a week and am loving that.

Ragwort Mon 30-Apr-18 10:23:19

Well done, I returned to work in my late 50s - have a job that I absolutely love doesn't pay much but that's a separate issue grin.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 30-Apr-18 10:24:46

I’m hoping to have 15 years too Flickety. I can’t see DH being able to retire anytime soon as we’ve still got a massve mortgage, supporting 3 dc through uni etc, so whilst he’s having to work I ought to be doing something useful too and contribute to the family finances.

UtterlyDesperate Mon 30-Apr-18 10:24:56

Congratulations, OP! Terrific news - and reading your post has brightened up my day too gin

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 30-Apr-18 10:31:27

The volunteering will really help your confidence baby.

I know Ragwort, I’ve read your posts on here over the years, and been envious of your employed status <stalkerish> grin. When you’ve been out for as long as I have you actually doubt that you have anything to offer anyone.

OllyBJolly Mon 30-Apr-18 10:32:31

applied for 12 jobs, had 4 interviews and was offered the job I last interviewed for

That's a bloody good hit rate! Brilliant news!

abigailsnan Mon 30-Apr-18 10:50:46

Well done you "T.T.A.T" I am also all for going down the volunteering route to get back in the workplace you have done really well,I hope you enjoy your new job.
Volunteering used to be thought off as a thing for retired blue rinse ladies at one time which is so out dated it really helps with your confidence I would say to anyone struggling to find a job to give volunteering a try it may not suit everyone but well worth a try.

Snog Mon 30-Apr-18 11:29:51

Good luck OP, hope it all goes well for you.

ToesInWater Mon 30-Apr-18 11:42:09

Congrats!

letsdolunch321 Mon 30-Apr-18 11:51:36

Well done flowers

MaybeDoctor Mon 30-Apr-18 11:57:52

That is lovely news. Make sure you sign up for the pension!
Well done.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 30-Apr-18 11:59:52

Thank you everyone flowers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in