Talk

Advanced search

Am I too late?

(9 Posts)
OhBergine Sun 29-Apr-18 14:51:28

I'm a lawyer, I am 31 and I'm on maternity leave with my second DC. Planning to go back to my (boring, fairly well-paid part time) job in Easter 2019.

I became a lawyer because I did a humanities degree - I did artsy A-Levels (which I was better at than science).

BUT I've always wanted to be a doctor. I've been Googling post grad courses in medicine but the minimum course time would be 4 years.

Am I an idiot to consider changing careers at this point? Realistically I wouldn't be contributing much until o was nearly 40... but then I could have a challenging career for a further 25 years?!

OP’s posts: |
SenoritaViva Sun 29-Apr-18 15:00:26

I lived with my best friend who was a med student. Her boyfriend at the time was a mature student and very old in my eyes at the time (he was 30!). Nevertheless he's now an anaesthetist so it is possible. Not sure about juggling children and a medical degree but definitely worth investigating if it's what you want.

OhBergine Sun 29-Apr-18 15:03:41

Yes 30 probably seems ancient to undergrads!

My job is so flexible at the moment and that is really worth a lot, whereas the course is full-time (and obviously I wouldn't earn anything). I think maybe I've missed the boat..

Pebblespony Sun 29-Apr-18 15:05:21

Still, you've only one life & if it's what you really want to do......

SenoritaViva Sun 29-Apr-18 15:14:05

If you can afford it and will have the time to study/do course then do it.

Candyflosss Sun 29-Apr-18 15:22:18

40 isn't old considering how many more years to contribute before retirement.

feelinginthedark Sun 29-Apr-18 15:28:37

I'm a consultant and would literally give my right arm for a boring part time job in law.

I have invested so much in my training and was only appointed as a consultant 2 years ago, so I feel the need to keep working to achieve a return on all the sacrifices I made during the 11 years of postgrad training. V difficult work life balance with DC. Obviously there are other routes e.g. GP but make sure you think very carefully about the postgrad training required after your basic 4 year medical degree.

Pebblespony Sun 29-Apr-18 15:32:01

Ha ha. The grass is always greener on the other side. I was going to retrain to become a vet. My friend, who's a vet told me she wished she'd become a teacher. Made me reconsider. Just got a load of animals instead.

OhBergine Sun 29-Apr-18 18:01:29

Feeling and Pebbles that's exactly what I need to hear really. Sometimes my job is boring but the work/life balance I've negotiated is excellent and the thought of going right back to the start does terrify me. I wouldn't want to be a GP - probably a gynaecologist or obstetrician. Maybe I don't want it enough.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in