Talk

Advanced search

Offered new job on maternity leave - should I take it?

(11 Posts)
Pp3000 Fri 27-Apr-18 17:25:14

I've been offered a great full time job while on maternity leave. I think it sounds like a perfect fit for me but I'd have to start when my baby is 8 months.

I was hoping to take the full 12 months off but I don't think I can pass this opportunity up as it's a niche sector!

Has anyone gone back to work earlier than they expected from maternity leave and it been the right decision? I'm 5 months in and can't imagine leaving my baby for full time work again!

confused

OP’s posts: |
Redtartanshoes Fri 27-Apr-18 17:26:36

Take it. Chances like this don’t come up all the time

Candyflosss Sat 28-Apr-18 19:39:18

Definitely take it. 8 months and 12 months is not a great difference. If you miss this you don't know when is the next opportunity.

muumimamma Sat 28-Apr-18 20:23:30

I was in a similar situation and starting a new job sooner than I had planned turned out just fine. I had been made redundant shortly before going on maternity leave. If I had had my old job to go back to, I would have taken a year off, especially as this was my first baby. However, a great opportunity happened to came along when I had been on leave for about 5 months and I started the new job when my son was 8 months old. Mine is a niche occupation too and it can take a long time for the right opportunity to come up in the right location. It was definitely the right decision and it furthered my career, which has been good for my family.

NWQM Sat 28-Apr-18 20:31:12

I started new job after adoption to be honest regretted it. Lost a month I’ll never get back but it was also really tough learning a new job as as getting used to being a working Mum. I couldn’t apply to go part-time as I could have in my old job. Yes, jobs don’t crop all the time but neither with your baby’s toddler years. There isn’t really a right answer - just a right for you and yours - but did want to put the flip side.

Mrssampras Wed 02-May-18 20:15:49

I was also in a similar position, and accepted the job, with a proviso that they would delay the start by a few months. However, they then started making quite a bit of contact with me by text and phone, which I felt uncomfortable about, and they were pressuring me to bring forward the start date, so I pulled out. I felt relieved when I did and I don’t regret it.

museumum Wed 02-May-18 20:18:47

I went back to pt working (self employed) after 6mo but it was to secure longer term flexibility. I felt I’d rather have a bit more flexibility with my 2,3,4,5yr old than a few more months with my baby.

NameChange30 Wed 02-May-18 20:18:57

I’d take it if I were you.
My son started nursery at 8 months and he was fine.
Interestingly it’s only since he turned 1 that he sometimes gets upset when I drop him off, he’s much more aware now that I’m leaving him.

jelliebelly Wed 02-May-18 20:21:54

Go for it - opportunities may be few and far between - you have your child’s whole future ahead of you!

Pp3000 Wed 02-May-18 21:01:49

Thanks everyone! I've decided to take it and see how it goes! Fingers crossed it's the right decision!!

OP’s posts: |
MumsforebayXguardianvideo Mon 18-Jun-18 13:48:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in