Returning to work after maternity.

(14 Posts)
gimmeShelterr Tue 05-Jun-18 21:41:42

Hi

I have decided tonight I am going to hand my notice in.

strawberrysparkle Mon 21-May-18 16:13:39

How did you get on op? My advice would be consider the 'agreement' as they will try and find a way to get you out when your back sad good luck x

Shippy75 Mon 21-May-18 16:09:12

I'm working 28.5 hours per week and up to 37.5 if required. I'm not sure how many days my employer should give me can anyone advise. Full time staff receive 25 days plus bank hols

user1487194234 Sat 05-May-18 11:13:04

Nightmare
Keep a careful record of everything that is said and check everything with ACAS
IME employers who start off like this with MAT leave returners don't improve
Be polite but firm re your rights
Maybe keep an eye out for another job in car things don't improve ,particularly if you don't feel like a fight
So rubbish that in this day and age this sort of thing still goes on

coldhardbitch Tue 01-May-18 09:53:34

I'm going to speak to someone as I'm a bit worried to go back end September as I'll be out maternity and contract?

OP’s posts: |
cp2016 Wed 25-Apr-18 23:31:14

It is 8 weeks notice. I would definitely follow up in writing and confirm your conversation, some bits maybe tricky.
I was unfortunately made redundant on mat leave after 10 years service. Keep track of everything and seek advice. Good luck

HarrietMB Wed 25-Apr-18 21:15:36

I’ve just had the same issue I was suppose to return 30th April but then was given the option of coming back August which is when my year is up. So I weighed up the options I.e childcare costs and I might as well have the whole year with him but I’m being made to feel bad for it I’ve worked there for 18 years I had ivf they know me inside out and are making me feel like shit for wanting to spend my time with my baby it’s horrible mum guilt is bad enough but having your job dangled in front of you is disgusting

Advertisement

maxelly Mon 23-Apr-18 16:00:52

You can definitely return earlier than your planned return date, you just have to give 8 weeks' notice which you clearly have.

Might be worth sending them an email to clarify that is your intention and recording your version of events so as to have it in writing?

Did they really say 'one error and I'm out the door'? shock? Perhaps a chat with ACAS is in order as you have rights on returning from maternity leave that need to be respected!

sheddooropen Mon 23-Apr-18 15:31:29

You should speak to Citizens advice and see what their point is, this doesn't sound right at all :/

DD2017 Mon 23-Apr-18 15:16:54

Do you have a union you can speak to?

itallhappensforareason Mon 23-Apr-18 11:51:15

It's terrible when this happens, employers shouldn't be able to get away with it but unfortunately they do find ways to do so. Would it be worth speaking to them about what this "agreement" is that you might be able to come to? Maybe they will be able to give you a nice pay off.

coldhardbitch Mon 23-Apr-18 11:12:37

That's what I thought, I have given them plenty of notice. I was looking at going back August so not too early than original date.

I just don't want to agree I'll go back the end of September and I'm out of maternity and somehow end up with no job. I think they are trying to make things difficult for me returning.

itallhappensforareason Mon 23-Apr-18 10:45:07

I wouldn't have thought they were allowed to do that - surely they have to let you return to work on the date specified? Also as long as you give them the correct notice required with regards to coming back to work early, I doubt they are able to stop you doing that either.

coldhardbitch Mon 23-Apr-18 10:39:34

I had meeting with work about returning from maternity leave, they kept saying "I didn't have to return, as it could be stressful" "we could come to an agreement" and that my role hasn't changed but the responsibility has and if I make one error I'm out the door. I think they are trying to get me to leave myself.

I should be returning to work from maternity 3rd September, I have been in contact with employer about returning sooner as I plan on going holiday beginning September and would like to get back into it before I leave for annual leave.

I have been advised it's not possible to go back earlier and I should return to work end of September? Is this normal as my maternity will be ended?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in