Cover letter

(5 Posts)
BrazzleDazzleDay Fri 20-Apr-18 20:57:21

So after 10 years, with a couple years working in between there's a job in my wee town came up that's perfect. But how the holy hell do I do a cover letter??? I have so very little self confidence/self identity left, so I've spent all week trying to work out what to write.

My cv is clearly shite, but I'm doing a degree that's more than above the job I think. What do I write? How do I sell myself?

OP’s posts: |
BrazzleDazzleDay Fri 20-Apr-18 20:57:49

Sorry I meant after 20 years as sahm!

BrazzleDazzleDay Fri 20-Apr-18 20:59:25

Ah ffs 10, TEN years as sahm. See, I'm a dick!!!

BrazzleDazzleDay Fri 20-Apr-18 22:46:08

Please

loomer Wed 25-Apr-18 20:39:42

I am no expert, but personally I would keep it short and sweet - even thought the temptation is to fluff it out as much as possible. In the assumption that you're covering letter is going along with a standard CV, then use this as an opportunity to explain to them exactly what about this job makes it perfect for you. Don't apologise for your CV being a bit 'lacking', just a brief mention of your ten years of looking after your family to explain the gap in employment. And if the role is part-time I think it's worth including something about how the hours would suit you. As a previous recruiter into part-time roles I know how difficult it can be to really establish whether a candidate had a genuine reason for wanting PT hours, or whether they were just using it as a stop gap during their continued search for FT employment. Best of luck to you anyhow!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in